VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, i'm looking for a free video editing software where i can also edit MKV files, i would use this software to take a few scenes of a Japanese anime (not licensed here yet by the way!), basically making a fan-made montage of it.

yes i know MKV is a container, but there must be a software somewhere that let you use MKV format files to make your own fan-made montage.

please help me. thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    avidemux, to cut and join and also reconvert to a more edit-friendly format.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I originally commented over here on the subject:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/288837-What-s-the-best-software-to-edit-MKV-contained-videos

I found free software called AVI Trimmer + MKV 2.0 that does the trick quite nicely. I made a post about it and my experience at (includes extra download links if software website goes down):
    http://spoonjab.com/how-to-trimeditsplit-an-mkv-with-a-visual-editor/
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    spoonjob: Please stop dig up several YEARS old posts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Please stop dig up several YEARS old posts.
    Why? What's wrong in his post?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My spam alert radar gets red when you dig up old posts to promote your own site. It's okey to post once or in recent posts.

You find solveigmm avi trimmer in our tools list also.
    Quote Quote  
  7. seriously Baldrick? close old posts if you don't want discussion. google still thinks this post was relevant.

I've been searching for software like this forever. this forum popped up multiple times in google searches. and i finally found an answer. no where in the forums i posted on was this answer discussed.

i have a blog that contains no ads and I took 30 minutes to create a detailed post and upload to sharing sites in case the author's went down. that seems spammy?
    Last edited by spoonjab; 1st Dec 2011 at 19:52.
    Quote Quote  
  8. cool. i didn't search on the forums, just google. the threads i landed in and posted in, i didn't see the answer.

do you know why videoredo won't work on most movie MKV's even though it now claims support?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ok, I know this is again an even older thread, but it is currently the #1 search result in Google for "free windows video editor mkv" (without the quotes) So hopefully this will help others save some time that I have spent trying all three.

Baldrick, Thank you for your suggestions. I tried all 3 suggestions (from your post #2 in the first thread you link) and only mkvtoolnix was able to split the file easily *and* included the subtitles - neither of the other two software indicated included subtitles in the output.

SolveigMM wouldn't even let me add a segment, I could only select the segment, then invert the segment, save one half, invert selection again and save the other half but still no subtitles. Also I noticed after installing the direct link Download points to an old (2.0.1210) version, but the software's website has v3.6 - I didn't try 3.6, since mkvtoolnix with the included GUI was easy and worked fine. (just have to be exact with following size/duration, ie: 5 minutes has to be 00:05:00 whereas 0:05:00 won't work) ALSO - I just noticed from their download page that 3.6 has no apparent free version, so the 2.0.1210 does seem to be the latest free version they have, sorry for the confusion if you read this already.

In you first link in post #8 the reply indicates someone had trouble playing the resulting files from AVIdemux. I had no trouble playing them on windows 7 with VLC v2.0.5 - I just didn't get the subtitles...

So if you don't care about subtitles all 3 seem functional.. (noting again that i didn't try the latest - v3.6 - of the solveigMM) of course SolveigMM would prefer you buy their more feature rich versions, whereas avidemux and mkvtoolnix are both just free.

Hopefully that will help at least someone save some time... Cheers & Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by unRheal; 18th Jun 2013 at 17:42. Reason: clarification & SolveigMM update
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've tryed all these, but stopped with SolveigMM Video Splitter. The best thing is that it edits MKV files without degrading sound quality. If you check the web, this has been a major problem for many people. The program is tiny and it does just what I want. Hooray!
    It is mostly a video splitter. I believe it does other things, but for someone who wants special effects, I would imagine this is not the program for you.
    Last edited by Dera; 22nd Jun 2013 at 17:42.
    Quote Quote