VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This combination works great with the 32 bit versions. any help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does ffdshow show up at all in VirtualDub's codec list?

Some time later... I had a chance to try this out on a Win7 64 bit installation. The 64 bit versions of ffdshow I found installed easily and properly but they did not include the h.264 encoder. Ffdshow showed up in VirtualDub's encoder list but the pulldown for selecting the encoder in the ffdshow config dialog did not include h.264.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks... I'll stick with the 32bit version. I get 110fps H264 with a Quad Core Q9550
    Quote Quote  
  4. In my experience with video encoding, getting 64 bit versions of the software only gets you about 10 percent more performance. Not worth the hassles.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The problem is everything in the chain has to be 64-bit, including avisynth, all plugins, ... not easy to do and get it working properly. If you do manage to get it working properly, jagabo is right, at best you only get ~10% increase.

If you don't set it up correctly, you often get ~10% slower....LOL. So I agree with jagabo, not worth the hassle
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    If you don't set it up correctly, you often get ~10% slower
    Even with everything set up properly you sometimes get 10 percent slower!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    poisondeathray wrote:
    The problem is everything in the chain has to be 64-bit, including avisynth, all plugins, ... not easy to do and get it working properly. If you do manage to get it working properly, jagabo is right, at best you only get ~10% increase.

If you don't set it up correctly, you often get ~10% slower....LOL. So I agree with jagabo, not worth the hassle
    Agreed. About the only 64-bit apps I've seen great improvements on were Blender 64 and a 64-bit defrag utility I have. Blender 64 can render about 40% faster than Blender 32.

Video editing and encoding present some real challenges as already mentioned.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks people. I just thought I'd ask because as of this date I have not found anything that needs a 64bit operating system, and a lot of programs that won't work with it. ....but my dual boot is there, so I will keep trying.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    .....and I was really hoping someone would contradict me.
    Quote Quote