VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently started a new PC with 2.00GHz overclocked at 2.20 GHz.
    The Biostar MB G31 chip set has onboard video on analog HDB15 connector, and the edge of most icons look fuzzy like have too much contrast, and color on web page look bleed. I can't adjust the monitor to fix these.

I now run without overclocking, and the display look at least okay, and not problematic.

Am I imagine this, or overclocking actually affect the onboard video ?

Is these G31 chip set has the vga video driver on the chip, or use external video driver ?
    It use to be an issue that cheap video card get bad video outcome, because they cut corner on video driver chip when they are external.
    Quote Quote  
  2. ** Deleted **
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    On-board video is usually combined on the Northbridge chip, closest the the CPU with a heatsink. Depending on the MB, you could affect the video output as OCing will usually OC the NB chip, and the included video chip. Your motherboard may allow you to set the video OC separately or the NB OC.

Time to read the MB manual. That's a fairly light OC, so it really shouldn't have that much affect on the video.

Not sure what you mean about the video driver, that's software and is usually part of the motherboard software, or combined with it. Most MBs with on-board video have all the video electronics on one chip, part of the NB chip.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just compare head to head against my laptop aux VGA output, and the laptop output is much more brillant, than this biostart G31 onboard VGA!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    I just compare head to head against my laptop aux VGA output, and the laptop output is much more brillant, than this biostart G31 onboard VGA!
    For a couple $ more (under $100) you could have gotten a Gigabyte all-in-one AMD/ATI MOBO with HDMI out. My older one works like a champ and is overclocked slightly. The onboard ATI HD3200 vid works well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You mostly are right. I end up replace this G31 MB with a Gigabyte 945 MB. I did not go for HDMI becuase the HP monitor that is in used only has VGA and DVI.
    Quote Quote