VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to figure out how to "shrink" down a regular Blu-Ray movie, so that I can burn it to a single layer 25gb BD-R disc for playback. Is this possible? If so, I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to do so.

Me and my wife have invested a lot of money in buying Blu-Ray movies, so I really want to have a backup copy of each, so our kids won't destroy our investment. I do understand that I can back them up on my hard drive and play from there, but I would much rather have a disc copy to store away in case the original gets damaged or scratched up.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sure, use BDRB (BD_Rebuilder).

First you have to decrypt/rip the disc to your hard drive. At the moment, AnyDVDHD is pretty much the only option, and it's not free. But the 21-day trial *IS* free, and not crippled in any way, apart from not keeping settings and the nag screens. So you can try before you buy.

Here's a nice simple guide:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368581.html

Although it's specifically aimed at re-encoding to fit a BD-5 (or rather AVCHD on DVD-5), just change the option in BDRB to BD-25 and leave off patching the index.

Make certain you install the *recommended* versions of: Avisynth, ffdshow, and Haali Splitter.

Good luck and post back how you're doing. And welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 29th Jan 2011 at 08:18.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by brad2157
    but I would much rather have a disc copy to store away in case the original gets damaged or scratched up.
    I would suggest you store away the original blu ray discs and use the back ups as your main watching disc. That way, if the back up gets scratched or damaged you have the original to go back to.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick replies to my question.

I have already tried the .PDF instructions and tried two different ways, in each I ended up with a file that I could not use. If I first made a .ISO image using AnyDvdHD "Rip to Image", then the image of my original Blu-Ray disc was too large to fit onto a single layer BD-R 25GB disc. If I tried to use BD-Rebuilder first to "shrink" down the orginal disc, then I was left with a .MT2S file that was the correct size to fit onto a disc, but then I have no way to convert it into a .ISO image that I can burn using Imgburn, nero, etc.. programs. This is where I am currently stuck at.

Maybe there are some steps I need clarified. Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  5. You need to clarify: Do you have a BDMV folder and a STREAMS subfolder, and the m2ts within the latter? If so, did you follow the burning directions exactly? You don't need to create an ISO image first, although you can. Use ImgBurn only and burn as UDF 2.50.

If you don't have the correct structure and followed the directions, then perhaps you should try an earlier version of BDRB. Version 0.26.03 works for me. The software is beta and, as is normal in such cases, some versions fix old bugs and introduce new ones.

I'm re-testing the latest version right now (v 0.27.01), my first run with it had a great deal of picture breakup. Dunno if it's the updated version of x264 or if the problem is in BDRB.

[EDIT] You can also try tsmuxer. First open the AnyDVD rip and go to the BDMV, then STREAMS. Check the size of the largest file, which is almost certainly the main movie, if it's smaller than 25G, it may fit as movie only. Verify which m2ts is the main movie by playing it in MPCHC. Write down the number. Say it's 00001.m2ts. In tsmuxer, open file and navigate to the PLAYLIST folder and select the 00001.mpls file. This will load all necessary files for the main movie, chapters, subs, audio tracks, etc. Deselect all but one audio track and one subtitle track (PGS: presentation graphics stream). Set audio and video to copy, set output to Blu-Ray. It may well be that the main movie only will now fit on a BD25. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. My procedure is:

use anydvd and "rip video dvd to harddisk".
    use bd rebuilder to shrink down to bd25.
    use imgburn to burn to bd25 media.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FRITZI93:I do have the BDMV and STREAMS folders with the .MT2S file within the STREAMS folder. I tried to follow the instructions step by step. I was under the impression that I needed to create a .ISO image file to burn to Blu-Ray though. I kind of get lost after I backup the image with AnyDvdHD to my PC and then rebuild with BD-Rebuilder. I am left with a correct size .MT2S file, but I was under the impression that I needed to convert it to a .ISO before trying to burn with IMGBURN software.

MRSWLA: After you use BD-Rebuilder to shrink down the files to under 25GB, what type of file do you burn using IMGBURN? I am a bit confused about what file type(s) to burn using Imgburn, since most programs only burn image files such as .ISO's.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ImgBurn, despite it's name, can burn a regular file or a image/ISO, if you want.
    Quote Quote  
  9. After BD Rebuilder is done shrinking, it creates a folder that is the name of the movie. This is what I burn with imgburn. When you open imgburn select "Write files/folders to disc", and select the folder the the movie that was just shrinked with bd rebuilder.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah, go over your procedures carefully and try again. Read the guide one more time.

Anyway, I did two runs with the latest BDRB and there's definitely a problem with the encoding. (That is, assuming it isn't some obscure problem with my computer.) I ran the same job again with the earlier version of BDRB and it came out okay. Anyone else had any problem with v 0.27.01 ?

[EDIT] I think I'll drop the latest x264 into the BDRB folder and have another go. There have been several new versions of it in the last couple weeks. It wouldn't be surprising if there are bugs.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by brad2157
    I am a bit confused about what file type(s) to burn using Imgburn, since most programs only burn image files such as .ISO's.
    Here's what I do, which is the same as in the linked guide:

1) Open ImgBurn and select "Write Files/Folders to Disc".
    2) Drag and drop the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders to the ImgBurn joblist pane.
    2) Select Device and set to UDF 2.50. Go to label and enter a name.
    4) Burn it.

Which isn't to say that's the *only* way to do it.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  12. fritzi93, what title are you doing? I haven't use bdrb ver 27.01 yet, but will today and let you know my outcome.
    Quote Quote  
  13. bdrb ver 27.01 seems fine to me.
    -----------------------
    [09:06:08] BD Rebuilder v0.27.01 (beta)
    - Source: ECHELON_CONSPIRACY
    - Input BD size: 23.01 GB
    - Approximate total content: [01:45:17.310]
    - Target BD size: 22.46 GB
    [09:06:08] PHASE ONE, Encoding
    - [09:06:08] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00001]
    - [09:12:38] Reencoding: VID_00001 (1 of 1)
    [10:20:24]PHASE ONE complete
    [10:20:24]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
    - [10:20:24] Rebuilding BD file Structure
    [10:20:36] - Encode and Rebuild complete
    - WORKFILES folder removed.
    [10:20:51]JOB: ECHELON_CONSPIRACY finished.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by mrswla
    fritzi93, what title are you doing? I haven't use bdrb ver 27.01 yet, but will today and let you know my outcome.
    Band of Brothers, Disc One.

Okay, it's working for you then? Since BoB is an episode disc, I've been doing full disc. Perhaps that's it? From the bug report thread at Doom9, I gather there have been intermittent problems with full disc backup. I'll try another, this time movie only. Thanks.

[EDIT] From your log it does appear that the input was re-encoded, however slightly.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Well, *another* version of x264 has just appeared. I'll drop it in the Tools folder and try it.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  16. I try to always do full backup first. If it fails, then I try main movie only.

I have had trouble with episodic discs. I've tried CSI in the past with no luck. Band of Brothers may be the same.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yeah, it seems so. I just finished encoding disc 2 with BDRB v0.26.03. Full disc, everything's fine except chapter timings on the second episode of the disc. Same with disc 1 of Band of Brothers. Isn't that odd now?

I'm starting another re-encode shortly, movie only, with v0.27.01. Hope it works this time, as the newest version is a helluva lot faster than the previous one. Re-encoding to BD-5 takes a long time. :P

So brad2157, any success yet?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 2 questions, when I am backing up movies to BD-R 25 do I not need to use the AVCHD-patcher???? secondly, I have noticed that some movies has more folders besides just BDMV and CERTIFICATE. Do I burn all those in imgburn or should I only burn BDMV and CERTIFICATE folder??
    thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I always back up to bd-25 discs, and have yet to use avchd patcher. I have done over 85 discs now. When using bdrb, I have it outputed to the name of the movie with all material (bdmv, certificate, etc.) as subdirectories. Then I open imgburn and use the "write files/folders to disc" and select the movie name folder and burn.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So you burn all folders even the ones not named BDMV and CERTIFICATE??? I am specially confused as to burn the ANY! folder and the ANYVM folder or not because it seems like they have been created by AnyDVD HD.

thanks in advance for reply.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have the same problem as above....i have some extra folders and i tried burning them ,but my blu ray player didnt support it. ani help appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    I have been looking at this using DVD FAB, and when i target to a 25G Blu Ray disc, it will say like 75% even with movie only?
    Is this considered a major decrease in qualityz
    Quote Quote  
  23. I wouldn't use DVDFab to re-encode. You'll get the best possible quality using the X264 encoder. If you don't like BDRB, there are other programs that use X264, in fact all the decent freeware Blu-Ray to Blu-Ray programs use it. And no payware programs available offer any advantage that I know of.

As to re-encoding to BD25, no, you won't be able to see any difference. AVC (h.264) is much more efficient than MPEG2. A reduction in file size to 75% (of original size) is quite a hit for a DVD-Video re-encode. Not so for Blu-ray. I don't think you can possibly tell the difference with your unaided eye on any conceivable home setup between BD50 and BD25.

The real disagreements involve BD 5/9. Many people assert their BD5 encodes are indistinguishable from original. Personally, I don't think they're looking very hard, although a re-encode above 4,500 kbps bitrate can be acceptable, depending on the movie.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    So are these the steps:
    1. Rip to hard drive in .iso image
    2. Re-encode and burn to Blu-ray 25G disc using x264 app

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  25. No, you need to read the guide linked to in post #2.

1) Rip to hard drive with AnyDVDHD, DVDFab (or the free version), or DVDFabPasskey.
    2) Re-encode with one of the Blu-Ray to Blu-Ray tools available in the tools section, e.g. BDRB, RipBot, AVCHDCoder, etc. Whichever one you use, you need to be careful in setting up the "helper" apps, AviSynth, ffdshow, Haali. (X264 needs no configuration and is included in each program.) The author of BDRB links the correct versions on the first page of the bug report thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

3) Burn with ImgBurn *only*.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    So rip to hard drive..
    Re encode to .264 file..
    then burn with ImgBurn?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Very easy, just use DVDFab 8.1.6.1 and choose the 25GB option on the left near the bottom of the main screen, works great!

http://www.dvdfab.com/
    Quote Quote  
  28. I've tried it, it works great. No noticable difference from the original...
    Quote Quote  
  29. You don't have to jump through all the hoops everyone on this thread has recommended....
    Quote Quote  
  30. You can use DVDFab to rip it and still use BD-Rebuilder if you want to tweak it. Just rip it as a BD-50 (no compression) then use BDRebuilder to shrink it. Then burn with IMGBurn. That's what I do and get great results.
    Quote Quote