VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a old dvd burner that i have been using for around 4 years, anyways when i play the recient movie backups I made the movies tend to stop near the end of the movie" kinda like freezing up" i have tried 3 different types of media all in perfict condition and it happens will all of them, is my burner just on its last leg ? any recomdations for a new dvd burner ?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is a common symptom of using cheap and/or crappy quality media. Writable DVDs have a dye squeezed between two surfaces. In low quality media, the outer edges are where the dye quality and coverage tend to be weakest. Because DVDs burn from the inner edge to the outer edge, the end of the movie burns in these areas, and you get exactly what you are seeing in your discs.

Your options are to use better quality discs, or to set a smaller target size when encoding your DVDs so that they don't require as much space, and don't burn to the outer edge. Of course, this will result in lower quality video.

There is a chance that it is just your burner, but I would suggest the media is a more likely explanation.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using Verbatim media 'without problems' over the last 4 years and are considered by many as being the best.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dr.bling
    i have a old dvd burner that i have been using for around 4 years, anyways when i play the recient movie backups I made the movies tend to stop near the end of the movie" kinda like freezing up" i have tried 3 different types of media all in perfict condition and it happens will all of them, is my burner just on its last leg ? any recomdations for a new dvd burner ?

thanks
    Have you actually identified the real manufacturer? You could buy Memorex, Imation, HP, Philips and chances are they are basically all made by the same supplier.
    Quote Quote