VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I always wanted to record live radio and video streams. I really don't have any idea how or what software to use. Can someone help me with this? I always attend video conferences and I like to record our meetings as much as possible. Also, I'd like to record some live radio interviews as well.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. hi, is there anyone that can help? thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks jagabo, I tried each and everyone of them but I still can't get to record the radio stream that I want.

Orbit can't seem to save the stream as its currently displaying a swf fie in its format list in Grab++

Replay Media Catcher is kinda hard to use, I can't even get to record anything.

Fraps I don't know how to start, kept pressing F9, can't seem to record anything.

Window's sound recorder has a 1 min limit and has very low volume.

VLC can go to the streaming site but it can't seem to download it.

I woud really really appreciate if someone can show me how to record from this streaming radio site

here are the 2 links of the radio websites

http://www.surfmusic.de/radio-station/magic-89-9-fm,845.html

http://eradioportal.com/magic.asx

thanks for your time and I appreciate all the help
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Shadowofthedarkgod
    Window's sound recorder has a 1 min limit and has very low volume.
    You can usually adjust the recording volume in the System Mixer.

You can get around the 1 minute limit in a few ways:

The easiest way is to open an large (longer than the program you want to record) WAV file with the properties you want (eg, 44,100 Hz, 16 bit, stereo). Set the cursor to the start of the recording. Now when you record your program it will replace the existing audio. Press Stop to stop recording then select Edit -> Delete After Current Position to get rid of any remaining bits of the old recording. Use Save As to save the new recording.

If you don't have a WAV file handy you can create one by recording silence (or whatever) within Sound Recorder. Set the audio parameters with File -> Properties -> Convert Now. Start recording. After a minute, when it stops recording, use Edit -> Copy to copy the 1 minute recording to the copy/paste buffer. Use Edit -> Paste Insert to paste into the current recording. You now have a 2 minute recording. Repeat the sequence again and you'll have a 4 minute recording. Repeat until you have a recording that's longer than the program you want to record. (Unfortunately, I think you can only get to about 15 minutes this way.) Then move the cursor back to the beginning and record the program you want. As with the earlier method, use Edit -> Delete After Current Position to remove the junk at the end. Now you can save.

I was able to download the mms stream directly from one of your links with VLC. I'll write up a description later...

Here's what I did:

I right clicked on your second link and selected Save As (Save Link As in Firefox, Save Target As in IE). That downloaded a file called magic.asx. I opened that file with notepad and found (among other stuff) the following links:

<ref href = "http://mirrors.martin.bitstop.ph/magic"/>
    <ref href = "mms://mirrors.martin.bitstop.ph/magic"/>
    <ref href = "http://us02.dagupan.com/magic"/>
    <ref href = "mms://us02.dagupan.com/magic"/>
    <ref href = "http://Eu02.dagupan.com/magic"/>
    <ref href = "mms://Eu02.dagupan.com/magic"/>
    <ref href = "mms://gbls.bitstop.ph/magic"/>
    <ref href = "mms://digitel-ss.dagupan.com/magic"/>

I picked the first mms link, "mms://mirrors.martin.bitstop.ph/magic" and played it in VLC with Media -> Open Network Stream. It played fine so I knew I had something to work with.

Now, from VLC select Media -> Convert/Save. Switch to the Network tab. Enter the above mms URL into the Address field. Press the Convert/Save button. In the new dialog select the name for the destination file. It will be an ASF file so use that extension. Put a checkmark in the Dump Raw Input option. Press Start when you want to start recording.

If you would rather convert to a different format (ASF isn't seekable) disable the Dump Raw Input option, select a profile and settings you want, name the file appropriately, and Press Start.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks jagabo, I tried the steps that you did but I'm having this error in VLC stating that they can't seem to open the MRL of the file (I copied the mms://mirrors.martin.bitstop.ph/magic in Open Network Stream)
    Quote Quote  
  6. They appear to be off air now. Even your original links don't work.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    or you can try GetASFStream as well
    Quote Quote  
  8. I've had great success with FLV Recorder (shareware). It grabs the stream. Then you can use FLV Extract (free) to extract the mp3.

Darryl
    Quote Quote