VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For some reasons (crap music background lol ) I decided to try to edit one of the VOB files using Ulead Studio. I don't know that software too well but I managed to edit it as I need. To edit it I changed the .vob extention to .mpg. Now I'm at a point when I have a ready project but I'm not too sure how to get it back to the original movie. In Video_TS folder I found not only .vob files but there are also some ofther files like INFO and such. I'm just guessing that they have to do with how the movie comes together. Do they store information like what size each of the large VOB files is and when it starts and finishes? If so then probably they need some editing as well. It's my first edit so all help will be most welcome.
    yaro
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not a good practice to simply re-name a VOB to .mpg...Next time use something like VOB2MPG to merge to single .mpg file for editing...When done editing you can import the .mpg in a conversion app like ConvertxtoDVD, DVDflick, or similar, but it will re-encode..For no re-encoding you'll need to extract the streams from the .mpg and re-author a new DVD...
    <<<<<<<Might help to read this, and see the HOW TO section<<<<<<
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvd
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used VOB2MPG to convert VOB files for editing with MPG2Cut2, saved the new file then re-authored with DVD flick.
    With DVD Flick, as long as 'Project settings' > 'Video' > 'Advanced' has 'Copy MPEG-2 Streams' checked, it doesn't recode.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VOBs (Video Objects) are a lot more than just a MPEG. They may contain subtitles, menu information, alternate languages and other information and are part of the DVD structure, along with IFOs (Information) and BUPs (Backup) They are created by a authoring program. You can't just edit them as a MPEG and stick them back into the VIDEO_TS folder and expect the DVD to play.

For more information on the DVD structure, format and specifications, look to the upper left on this page for 'WHAT IS' DVD. As mentioned, you can extract the MPEGs from a VIDEO_TS folder with VOB2MPG, but you would have to reauthor to recreate the DVD. Some authoring programs: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/authoring-dvd

Another alternative is a video editor than can edit VOBs directly. Some here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-editors-mpg-dvd

And welcome our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Yaro
    Do they store information like what size each of the large VOB files is and when it starts and finishes?
    Yes, they do. For example they store such data as 'start sector of Title Vob', 'start sector of Menu Vob' etc.
    http://dvd.sourceforge.net/dvdinfo/ifo.html

There are DVD editors like DVDRemake, they always update all ifo's if you touch anything in VOB content.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This all sound very complicated. Thought it would be much easier to do and there is some software that can read all the dvd and show me all the parts of it including current settings and modifying them accordingly to my changes. It's going to be a really tough one. Thanks guys for your support and all the info.
    yaro
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so I edited that vob in Ulead Studio and then saved it. Then copied all the other VOB's from the DVD and replaced to one I was editing. Then put everything back on a new DVD. It kind of works but there are problems. For example if I go to chapter selection it skips the chapters I edited. If I go to scene selection my edited part works fine except it's under the wrong link. So it's getting wormer but not perfect yet. Any ideas how can this be fixed? Thanks
    yaro
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Yaro
    Any ideas how can this be fixed?
    Yeah, start over and do it right this time. You didn't really say what kind of edits you made, but if you didn't actually cut out anything and the original length remains the same, the usual procedure is:
    1. Demux (PGCDemux)
    2. Edit (whatever you did with whatever you did it with)
    3. Remux (Muxman)
    4. Replace edited VOB(s) back into the original (VobBlanker)

And if some of the editing included moving around chapter points, that can be done by editing the celltimes.txt file that PGCDemux gives you. There are other ways to do this but the way you did it isn't one of them.

If all you're doing is changing the music track, demux, remux with the new audio, replace.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. The only edits I did was muting some parts of audio and adding another tracks in those points. Probably like 5mins in total.
    Probably this is why Ulead Studio created 2 VOBs. One around 1GB and the other quite small containing maybe 2mins of video.
    Do I need to Demux all the movie or just the one vob that reqires editing?
    Thanks a lot
    yaro
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Yaro
    That has already been answered:
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    You can't just edit them as a MPEG and stick them back into the VIDEO_TS folder and expect the DVD to play.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Yaro
    It depends. If it all takes place within a single cell (chapter), you can demux just that cell using PGCDemux, edit the audio, reauthor just that cell, and then replace that cell using VobBlanker. If your edits span more than one cell, either demux and edit the different cells separately, or demux the entire video and work on the entire audio track, even if what you do only takes place within a 5 minute section.

But one thing you do not do is take a VOB, edit it, and then just stick it back in.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It actually all takes place in one chapter but there are a couple of chapters in that Vob file. Ulead Studio gives me the choice to import only one chapter as it asks what chapters I want to import, but I had no idea how do I put it back after editing as it creates a vob file in the end. For that reason I worked on that whole VOB. But if as you're saying I can edit just that one chapter that's even better as it shouldn't affect all the rest that much.

Jut wandering if I add some audio there, it will probably change the size of that chapter which in turn will probably lead to a situation where it won't fit into one vob again. That's why when I was working on whole that vob file and it's vob no 3 in this case so one but last I didn't care that it cut some end of the movie from that vob and created a second small one. I just ignored that small one which contains bits I don't really care much about and only stick the main one back in the original Video_TS folder changing its name to be no. 3. I didn't have to change the extension back to vob as it came out as vob from the Ulead Studio.
    I'll try your suggestions straight after getting back home. Thanks again
    yaro
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Yaro
    Jut wandering if I add some audio there, it will probably change the size of that chapter which in turn will probably lead to a situation where it won't fit into one vob again.
    The before and after sizes mean nothing, as long as the edited cell remains under 1 GB in size. You said there were a couple of chapters in that particular VOB, so the single edited one will remain under 1 GB, won't it?

Even if you change the length of the cell by adding audio, I think you can still do the VobBlanker replace. However, I'm not positive about that, never having done it myself. I do, sometimes, replace a cell with a reencoded cell and it works fine. I reencode video, though, and don't usually mess with the audio.

After you've edited the cell (I still highly recommend PGCDemux for the demuxing part), open the original unedited DVD in VobBlanker. Highlight the main video so it appears in the lower screen. Highlight it in the lower screen and hit "Cells" on the right. In the new screen the cells will be shown. Highlight yours and hit "Replace". Scroll to the VTS_01_1.VOB->Open->Apply, give it an output folder, and "Process.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just on it. Thanks for your help.
    yaro
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a bit stuck again. After editing that one cell what do I do with it? Do I as before export it to a VOB? Will a vob file be accepted by VobBlanker as a cell? PgcDemux creates an .mpa and an .m2v file. The celltimes.txt is empty when I export one cell only. It only gives me times when I import a whole vob. So what do I do then. Ulead gives me options to export to DVD, VCD or SVCD only. I don't think any of whose gives me .m2v and .mpa as a result.
    Also there is one think I don't get from your description. Why do I choose VOB_01_01 if my edited cell is in vob03?
    yaro
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh and one more thing I noticed. Where MuxMan fits in here?
    yaro
    Quote Quote  
  17. If editing only a cell, then the celltimes.txt file is empty, you're right. Muxman fits in by reauthoring your edited assets. Load the M2V, the audio, subs if any (in SUP format), and mux. When done you'll have a little DVD and you can then replace the original cell with your new VOB in VobBlanker.
    Why do I choose VOB_01_01 if my edited cell is in vob03?
    Because that's what VobBlanker wants, and that's what you'll get when you reauthor (using Muxman, IFOEdit, or many other authoring programs). Once you've broken the cell into audio and video (demuxing with PGCDemux), when done editing you have to put that cell back together again, back to VOB format (remuxing using Muxman).

By the way, there was probably an audio delay in the original cell. "Check A/V Delay" for that cell in PGCDemux. If there is a delay, be sure and fill in that same delay when remuxing with Muxman.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All right. Actually when I export with Ulead Studio it creates a little DVD with only that one scene. So I get Audio_TS and Video_TS folder in result. The Audio_TS is empty but the Video_TS contains all the .ifo, .bup and .vob as you would see in a normal DVD folder. So I'm guessing that's what I need. I clicked Replace, pointed to my edited vob and processing now. Can't wait to see the results. Hopefully my firs edit will be completed. That was really great help. Thanks a lot
    yaro
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately it didn't work. All the edited part has no sound. Also scenes were moved from chapter to chapter. Seemed to be so close
    yaro
    Quote Quote  
  20. Does the cell VOB you created have sound? When you play it as a DVD (not just as a file), it plays OK? Is it the same kind and same bitrate audio as the rest of the DVD? It's only after you do the replace step in VobBlanker that the audio is lost?

I'm not sure what you mean by scenes were moved from chapter to chapter. If you started with only the one cell, then nothing can get moved to a different cell during or after the replace step in VobBlanker.
    Quote Quote  
  21. dvdremakepro would be your best option for your problem. It allows you to replace blocks/cells in your already authored title set.

To keep it quick you could just replace the blocks that the last vob uses in your authored dvd with the new vob file you made from your editing

dvdremakepro also allows the splitting of chapters to make cells and so on and so forth. You can easily fix your disc using this program but you need to know a little something about the dvd structure otherwise viewing it's interface might be a little intimidating
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by mazinz
    dvdremakepro would be your best option for your problem.
    VobBlanker does exactly the same thing but is free. So, which is the better solution - free .vs costs money...both equally good...let me think.
    It allows you to replace blocks/cells in your already authored title set.
    So does VobBlanker.
    To keep it quick you could just replace the blocks that the last vob uses in your authored dvd with the new vob file you made from your editing
    So does VobBlanker do that.
    dvdremakepro also allows the splitting of chapters to make cells and so on and so forth.
    So does VobBlanker.
    ...you need to know a little something about the dvd structure otherwise viewing it's interface might be a little intimidating
    Personally, I find DVDRemake Pro completely non-intuitive and that it frequently uses made-up terms used by no other DVD program. Everything it does (with the exception of joining 2 different DVDs and creating a a rudimentary menu) can be done just as well and more easily with freeware (VobBlanker and PGCEdit, usually).

Anyway, Yaro's problem doesn't seem to me to be one that using DVDRemake Pro would solve.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked the edited vob with VLC player and Windows Media Player and it does have the sound I want. Audio bitrate of the pieces of songs I added in to replace the old ones is probably different than the original one as I used mp3 files and I don't know what format was originally used for audio background for that DVD. After VobBlanker the audio is gone from the output. By moved scenes I mean that when I fire up whichever vob with VLC from the original movie and the VobBlanker output it starts from a different point of the movie. Same if I go to DVD menu and choose scenes.
    Maybe the procedure I used is wrong so I'll try to describe step by step what I did.

First I pointed PgcDemux to my folder with the movie and to the VTS_01_0.IFO which showed me cells from 01 to 11 and exported cell number 9(02/08). This created m2v and mpa file. I opened the m2v with Ulead Studio and added my music files and the mpa file muting the bits of audio I did not like. This part was pretty stright forward as Ulead Studio is quite intuitive showing you your video, audio and voice streams one above the other so you can see exactly what you're editing.

After I finished with editing in Tools I've got Create Disk > DVD. There are options to create manu and Add/Edit chapter. I didn't won't an new menu so unticked that and went Next where I can choose to create Disk, DVD Folder or Disk Image. I went for DVD folder which created a small DVD including all the files that you would normally see on a DVD disk except there was only one vob which was my edited cell.

Next step was VobBlabker where I pointed to my original movie folder > VIDEO_TS > VIDEO_TS.IFO
    I chose some output folder and clicked on my VTS_01*.VOB Then I chose PGC# 02OneSeq which by the sizeand duration looked like the main movie, clicked Cells and highlighted cell umber 8 (there were cells from 1 to 10) as it matched the duration of my PgcDemux cell. Then I clicked Replace, pointed to my edited vob and applied. Now Process!!

After it finished I had all the files which were in my original VIDEO_TS in the output folder. When checked file details all the files were slightly different to their original size except for VIDEO_TS.VOB which was exactly the same but e.g. the new VIDEO_TS.IFO was KB where the original one was 32KB. All the new VOB files were also slightly bigger where the original e.g. the original VTS_01_1.VOB was 1,000,016KB but the new one was 1,048,574KB.

That's how it looks like. I must have done something wrong but just can't see where.

yaro
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where you see the funny face there is actually 9 ( 02/08 )
    yaro
    Quote Quote  
  25. I checked the edited vob with VLC player and Windows Media Player and it does have the sound I want. Audio bitrate of the pieces of songs I added in to replace the old ones is probably different than the original one as I used mp3 files and I don't know what format was originally used for audio background for that DVD.
    Didn't you already say it was MPA audio (aka MP2)? Open the original DVD in VobBlanker, highlight the movie so it appears in the lower window and highlight it in the lower window. Then hit "Strip" to the right. It'll show you the kind of audio and its bitrate. Make sure when done the edited cell audio is the same.

There are other ways to check the audio. I use HeadAC3he often. GSpot and MediaInfo will also tell you.

I expect the moving scene thing is related to you using the wrong audio for the replacement. Get that fixed first and then try again. You didn't think it would be this hard or time consuming, did you?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by manono
    Originally Posted by mazinz
    dvdremakepro would be your best option for your problem.
    VobBlanker does exactly the same thing but is free. So, which is the better solution - free .vs costs money...both equally good...let me think.
    It allows you to replace blocks/cells in your already authored title set.
    So does VobBlanker.
    So does VobBlanker do that.
    dvdremakepro also allows the splitting of chapters to make cells and so on and so forth.
    So does VobBlanker.
    ...you need to know a little something about the dvd structure otherwise viewing it's interface might be a little intimidating
    Personally, I find DVDRemake Pro completely non-intuitive and that it frequently uses made-up terms used by no other DVD program. Everything it does (with the exception of joining 2 different DVDs and creating a a rudimentary menu) can be done just as well and more easily with freeware (VobBlanker and PGCEdit, usually).

Anyway, Yaro's problem doesn't seem to me to be one that using DVDRemake Pro would solve.
    actually dvdremakepro's interface is much easier to work with than vobblanker. Even if Yaro's problem was different audio you can stil use remake to fix this if for some reason you had no other choice. You can easily just add it as another title set and link it up. Remake wil also let you make a dvd from sratch using pieces from differnt sets which blanker does not do either. I will give you vobblankerfor the free option, but not because it is better
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I definitely did not think that
    Thanks
    yaro
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Turns up the original was 222kbps and the edited cell is 256kbps. I'm guessing the mpa file is 222kbps so I need to do something about the mp3 files. Would that be called resampling?
    yaro
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's actually 224 not 222. So I resampled my MP3s and trying again. Thing is the size of the original audio stream is 170MB and the new one only 10MB. Would this matter?
    yaro
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by Yaro
    Turns up the original was 222kbps and the edited cell is 256kbps. I'm guessing the mpa file is 222kbps so I need to do something about the mp3 files. Would that be called resampling?
    yaro
    Resampling is the actual frequency your sound file is at (ex 44 or 48 HZ). In you case the bitrate it was encoded at is wrong. So you would need to change the encoding bitrate of your file from 256 to 224 to match the rest of the video
    Quote Quote