VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    New to Dvd Ripping and I know this question has been asked a lot here, but between CloneDvd2, Dvd Decrypter, Dvd Fab, and Dvd Shrink, what is the best software to rip dvds.... Not talking on the fly copying between two drives, Im wondering what the best software is to rip either an image file or video_ts folder to the hard drive.

Not concerned at how long it takes to rip just looking for software that does best quality as I mainly just want to do 1 to 1 copies(dvd9 to dvd9) no compression whatsoever.....

also very newb question as well but should I rip Dvds on to the harddrive using the slave or master drive on my pc....
    (slaves an old pioneer dvd-rom drive, masters my Aopen burner, fairly new) (both 16x read speed)

Any suggestions/advice would be very much appreciated =)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CloneDVD2 together with ANYDVD is better than DVDFab. I have them both and found it to be more reliable. However, it is a costly setup. DVD Shrink works well with ANYDVD, but it is not updated anymore. CloneDVD2 does have updates. This software will do all you need. Pioneer is a good burner-old or new, as long as it is working properly. You have a DVD ROM-that's not a burner-read only.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks was thinking about using CloneDVD2, but Ive also heard good things about Dvd Decrpyter so im still not sure

My concern is quality im not caring about how long it takes to rip and Im not planning really on stripping menus, languages, or compressing the dvds in any way.... (bought plenty of dvd9s to make backups )

and BTW Yes I know my Pioneer Dvd-Rom drive isnt a burner.... I was just wondering if its better to rip the movie on the harddrive using my master drive which is a fairly new aopen burner, or my slave drive which is an old pioneer dvd-rom(bout 7 years old!)
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'd recommend you use DVDFabHDDecrypter, it's free, and it's updated frequently to keep abreast of the latest protection schemes. Use Full Disc Mode only, as Fab occasionally buggers a main movie rip. Then open the output from Fab in DVDShrink and see if it complains about anything. Shrink is quite strict about proper structure, if it loads okay, the file is good.

As to burning on DL discs, use Verbatim +R DL discs only. They're the only ones that are reasonably reliable, but be advised not as reliable as quality DVD-5 single-layer media.

You will find that many movies, if you deselect unwanted audio tracks and reauthor main movie only, can now fit on a DVD-5 with little or no compression. For a few percentage points worth of compression, DVDShrink will do fine, and you'll be unable to tell the difference. For more compression, DVDRB can do quite a good job, indistinguishable from the original oftentimes.

Good luck. :P
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the valuable information fritzi, I will look into DVDFabHDDecrypter.... also probably doesnt matter but what drive do you guys use to rip your dvds, The slave or master drive? I was thinking of using the slave which is just a read only pioneer dvdrom drive, to save wear and tear on the burner?

thoughts anyone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't matter which drive you use whether it's master or slave. Either drive will only allow you to rip probably at 8x - 12x read speed for commercial dvd discs that are dvd9.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok thanks budz, and also my gratitude for everyone elses advice =)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Oh my, I forgot a few important points.

For burning to disc, use ImgBurn. For several reasons:

1) ImgBurn preserves 32k padding between *.IFOs and *.BAKs (navigation and backups thereto). This ensures a flaw in the disc that makes an IFO unreadable will not also ruin the IFO's backup. Not to beat a dead horse, but other burning programs aren't quite so strict.

2) ImgBurn will choose the correct layer break point when burning a DL disc. This is quite important.

Another useful tool is FixVTS. This can correct most problems with disc structure that may remain from copy protection removal. Most movies will rip just fine, but occasionally a rip will leave junk behind. This sometimes happens with a new release, before DVDFabHDDecrypter has been specifically updated to deal with it. Sony, Columbia, Disney, et. al., all indulge in rolling out new protections and variations on ARccOS. If you rip one of these with Fab, open the rip with DVDShrink, and Shrink throws an error, run FixVTS on the Fab rip and try again to open the files in Shrink. Or wait for a Fab update. [shrugs]

And welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fritzi thanks bro for the warm welcome, as well as the sound advice. Im probably going to get DVDFabHdDecrpypter, CloneDvd2, as well as DvdShrink and experiment with them to see which one I like the best. (Im sure they all do about the same job quality wise but Ill test them)

I dunno if all aforementioned programs will give you an img file once ripped or videots.... suppose it doesnt matter probably a matter of preference/convience ripping an img or iso file as compared to videots files.

what do you all here recommended trying to rip, is their a quality difference between ripping an img an iso or videots? I would imagine not but Im just asking trying to get all the info i can before i start ripping

and about the burning program to use.... Ive used imgburn before and its great free software, however Ive been using Nero 7 Ultra Edition for years, used to the interface and never had any problems burning dvdrs or DL discs, so im just wandering how imgburn compares to Nero 7, not the new version of nero(its sh1t)

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I use DVDFab.
    Quote Quote  
  11. No difference ripping to ISO or file folder, except it's convenient to rip to an image, in that it's a single file.

I wouldn't trust Nero to correctly place the layer break for a DL, there's been some discussion of this here from time to time. For that reason, and the 32k gap issue, it's advisable to just use ImgBurn for DVD_Video.

DVDShrink can output an ISO image for burning with ImgBurn. There's a version that can automate this for you.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote