VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having no problems with new video files captured from my Sony DV camcorder as MPEG files. Sound is OK. However, I have some older MPEG files on my hard drive that the Ulead VideoStudio 11 software tells me have the folowing characteristics:

PAL (25 fps)
    MPEG files
    24 bits, 720 x 576, 25 fps
    Upper Field First
    (DVD-PAL), 4:3
    Video data rate: Variable (Max. 8000 kbps)
    Audio data rate: 224 kbps
    MPEG audio layer 2, 48 KHz, Stereo

Whe I upload these files to Ulead VideoStudio 11, I find that I have no sound. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. No MP2 decoder? Do they have sound when you play them with a media player?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I stuffed up. I gave the output file characteristics by mistake! The input file has Dolby Digital Audio.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I might add that the old files play OK with a media player - with sound.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Installed AC3ACM but no joy.

For the files where I DO NOT have sound with Ulead VideoStudio 11, the Video Type is MPEG-2, Upper Field First and the Audio Type is Dolby Digital Audio. For the more recent files from my camcorder that have sound, the Video Type is MPEG-2 Video, Lower Field First and the Audio Type is MPEG Audio Layer 2 Files.

I am hoping this helps?

Roger
    Quote Quote  
  6. Are you sure there's no sound in files you produce from the AC3 sources? AC3 audio is usually at a far lower level than MP2 or MP3 audio. Turn the volume way up to be sure. It seems unlikely that UVS 11 can't handle AC3 sources. And if it can't I would expect it to give an error message. Are you using a full retail version of UVS? Sometimes free versions that come with hardware have limited functionality. You might have to purchase a UVS specific AC3 plugin (Ulead has to pay royalties to Dolby Labs to use AC3).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear Jagabo,

I think you have got it. My version came with hardware and it looks like I will need to upgrade.

Thanks heaps!

Roger
    Quote Quote  
  8. One last thing to try: install AC3Filter. There are two audio handling paths in Windows: ACM and DirectShow. AC3Filter is a Directshow AC3 decoder.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I found a fix for this problem and it works on VS 8-11 for XP users:
    1.Make sure showing hidden files is enabled in Explore\Tools\Folder Options.
    2.Go to All Users\Application Data\Ulead Systems and locate the uvs.ini file. Open it and go to [VIODRIVER], on PlayAC3 and DecodeAC3 set the value to 1.
    3.Under [VIODRIVER] add a line called ADVANCE=1, this will add advanced settings for MPEG encoding.
    4.Exit and save.

For some reason this fix doesn't work for Vista and 7 users.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Dear MOVIEGEEK

Great!!! I had the same problem and your solution is working great for UVS 8!!!

THANKS!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the fix of editing uvs.ini and on importing .MOD files the sound could be heard using the review window, but after creating the new video files they contained no sound. When I checked uvs.ini I found the various AC3 lines had reverted back to =0 rather than remain as =1 which is what I edited them to.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    What version you use?
    for me it worked perfect.
    the file is located in: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ulead Systems\Ulead VideoStudio\8.0

Aloni
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Version 10.0.0110.0 SE

I have files called uvs.ini in three locations:

The one located at C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead VideoStudio SE DVD\Ulead.dat stays as edited with the specified values set to =1

However after I've opened VideoStudio, loaded a .MOD file where I can hear the audio in preview mode and then click Create Disc, I can no longer hear the sound track of the clip in the DVD authoring wizard window which pops up and the file at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ulead Systems\Ulead VideoStudio SE\10.0 goes back to PlayAC3=0 & DecodeAC3=0.

The version of uvs.ini in C:\Documents and Settings\Bryon\Application Data\Ulead Systems\Ulead VideoStudio SE\10.0 is only a small file consisting of:
    [Library_Install]
    VersionCompare=0
    EffectFolder=Film
    MgcCompare=H:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead VideoStudio SE DVD\ppp\TmplList.mgc
    [FIRSTRUN]
    Success=1
    [PFM]
    PreviewPrefPath1Check=1
    PreviewPrefPath2Check=0
    PreviewPrefPath3Check=0
    PreviewPrefPath4Check=0
    PreviewPrefLimitCheck=0
    PreviewPrefLimit=1024
    PreviewPrefPath2=
    PreviewPrefPath3=
    PreviewPrefPath4=

UPDATE:

I set the attributes of uvs.ini at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ulead Systems\Ulead VideoStudio SE\10.0 to read only and now VideoStudio can't change PlayAC3=1 & DecodeAC3=1 back to PlayAC3=0 & DecodeAC3=0.

It seems to work for my purpose, but there may be othere settings that can't be saved due to making uvs.ini read only.
    Last edited by bryond; 16th Jul 2010 at 08:30.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Do you mean MOV? If so download this file, it will allow you to import MOV files into SE versions.
    If it is a MOD then Videostudio SE doesn't support them, you have to reencode to an AVI in order to import.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do mean MOD, the video file type output by my JVC Everio camcorder. While it may be said VideoStudio SE doesn't support this file type, by editing uvs.ini as you instructed above and then changing it to read only, I've been able to burn DVDs with MOD files as the input source. The trick for me was making it read only because for some reason after launching the DVD authoring wizard the values in uvs.ini were being reset.

I usually use Windows DVD Maker on my Vista laptop, but recently I've had a problem making a second copy after successfully making the first DVD in that it seems to burn the second DVD fully, but reports a failure to finalize. So I thought I'd try VideoStudio which I had on my XP desktop as an alternative. Incidentally MOD isn't shown as a supported file type for Windows DVD Maker also, but it works fine.

My application is burning DVDs of multiple basketball games each week and I don't do any editing; just add details to the menu screen and add two video files of about 45 minutes each. My requirement is for a simple software package which will do that as quickly as possible and allow burning of further copies quickly in succession without re-encoding. I did use the software which came with the JVC, but even that had problems which made it change its mode of operation from a quick burn to a very slow one and JVC support couldn't help me resolve the problem.
    Quote Quote