VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Some food for thought on my first post after years of using VideoHelp... Hi!

I was trying to get similar results from FFmpeg and WinFF as I do from SUPER (version 2009 build 36).

Since SUPER doesn't let you know the parameters (http://www.erightsoft.com/faqt.html#Q015), I decided to watch the processes and get an idea what SUPER does and the options it passes to the command line. Using the SysInternals Process Monitor I came across some odd behavior. When converting a FLV to MP4, it creates various copies of executables in %TEMP%\scodecs\. Here's the order of processes started by SUPER:

I haven't dug into the first 3:

Code:
    cmd /c C:\PROGRA~1\ERIGHT~1\SUPER\log.bat

%TEMP%\zcodecs\DX9Splitter.exe -dur "%TEMP%\t$m$pC669E55549594EA99" -i "D:\video.flv" 

mencoder\MPlayer.exe
    I did capture copies of the following:

Code:
    %TEMP%\scodecs\x264.exe -y  -i "D:\video.flv" -vcodec libx264   -coder 0  -level 13 -refs 1  -s 320:240  -aspect 4:3 -r 29.97 -b 768k -g 300 -threads 8 -sn -bug +autodetect+ms -me_method epzs   -title "video.flv" -timestamp "16:06:46" -author created.with.SUPER(C).v2009.bld.36 -maxrate 768k -bufsize 450k   -vol 170 -acodec libfaac -profile aac_low  -ac 2 -ar 44100 -ab 96k -f mp4 "%TEMP%\t$m$pC669E55549594EA9out.MP4"
    This x264 is actually a wrongly named copy of FFmpeg r921 (2,841,600 bytes). The CygWin dlls are not even used with this version. It is interesting that SUPER is using a very old build of FFmpeg, and not what is put in the SUPER folder on installation.

Code:
    %TEMP%\scodecs\ffmpeg.exe -normal-mode -add "%TEMP%\t$m$pC669E55549594EA9out.MP4" "%TEMP%\t$m$pC669E55549594EA9.MP4"
    This file is actually x2.64.exe - GPAC version 0.4.4-DEV. I'm don't know exactly what it does yet; perhaps copy the output of FFmpeg into a MP4 v2 (ISO 14496-14) container. (I'm not too knowlegeable on this, so I could be wrong)

Code:
    %TEMP%\scodecs\ffmpeg.exe -optimize "D:\video.flv.MP4"
    Actually mpeg4ip.exe version 1.2.8.

Code:
    %TEMP%\scodecs\tg.exe "D:\video.flv.MP4" --tool eRightSoft --artist "created with SUPER(C).v2009.bld.36" --album "" --comment "16:07:46" --title "video.flv.MP4"
    This is a form of tg.exe - Tagger for mp4's version 0.38 (c) Richard 2003 (from the hydrogenaudio forums). The file size is not the same as what Richard released, although is has the same verion number.

SUPER is also doing some other actions duruing the entire process, as well as kicking off 1stRun.exe a few times a second. 1stRun.exe seems to be reading windows system dlls and registry keys. (\system32\, kernel.dll, shell32.dll, Terminal Server keys, Image Execution Option keys, etc.) I am a little suspicious of this file. It doesn't seem to do anything other than 'check

(I replaced the actual temp folder paths with %TEMP%)

Suspicious or deceitful, possibly. In violation of GPL or other copyrights, I'll let the law experts decide. Evidently sites are 'proposing' SUPER is safe (http://www.erightsoft.com/faqt.html#Q033).

I can't say it doesn't get me the desired result for MP4s. It does the job well on the pesky source videos I would have a problem with otherwise.

Someone with more knowledge may want to investigate further.

I'm thinking of sticking with another GUI for Windows since SUPER doesn't even seem to use the latest build of FFmpeg.

Thoughts? Comments?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by BaronJT
    Thoughts? Comments?
    Let the law experts decide?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Speaking of GPL violation, I don't see the sourcecode available for cygwin, ffmpeg, or any of the other tools they use. Thanks for revealing what you have found. I'll have to check that out too.

The only reason I mention it, is that one of the project leaders of cygwin contacted me, and (nicely) let me know that I myself had a few GPL boo boos that needed correcting.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why use Super when a tool like mediacoder's got it all, or even avidemux...
    i mean WHY?
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Super is big joke that actually works.
    It does the job and over the years it became the synonym of the "average encoding"

What surprises me, is the fact that this program keep having success, when the others fail.
    I never had the best results or the best quality of course. But I have always complete results. It simply works and the files are playable. I can't ask for more in that price...

Personally, I would never used Super encoder for something I care. But for all the other tasks that I don't care, it is a handy alternative. So, yeah, from that point of view, this program is really super.

Regarding the spyware and so, well, there was an issue before about this matter so I bet there is something fishy with that program today too. But I don't really care. What they can do to me? Send me more spam? Gain access to my PC? Try to erase my HDD? If those were the issues, after 5 years of systematic using of the program, something would pop up already. Nothing did, so I guess all the fuzz is that this program simply use "fishy" ways to do the job done and that shows.
    I'm OK with this, as long as I don't have to pay something.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used SUPER a couple of times for opening H.264 to convert back to HuffYUV, unti I foud VirtualDub import filters that did the same. SUPER doesn't really do anything, and it is indeed very mediocre for most things.

I like the concept of it, just not always good follow-through. Neither like it nor dislike it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote