VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi everyone!

so my dad had a vhs tape of all the old christmas specials. i recently, using his dvd recorder put these on a dvd+/-rw.

this dvd works on my computer and such, but doesn't work on all dvd devices (such as my xbox)

I'm trying to edit the file and put it on another dvd to work on everything. I have tried many things, most recently converting the dvd to an iso file, but eventually it always ends up being "file unsupported".

I'm not very good with computer stuff, but can anyone offer any advice?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Was this DVD of yours "finalized" ? Have you tried opening the DVD with windows explorer and dragging the VIDEO_TS folder on to your desktop?
    What programs have your tried to use to convert the DVD to an ISO file?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The dvd was finalized, but it is RW

I've used many things (ImgBurn, Nero, and PowerIso) which actually get me the ISO file, but there aren't any files listed. The DVD only plays in quick play, every thing else seems to see the disc as empty but I have watched the whole thing on my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    to try to clarify; (i apologize for not knowing too much) I just don't understand what the file is eve supposed to be. If you use a dvd-recorder and make a vhs into a dvd; what type of file is on the disc should all things go well?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For general background, check out "What is DVD" in the upper left-hand corner of this page.

The short version: A DVD will have a VIDEO_TS folder that contains a collection of .VOB files (among other things) that together constitute your movie. There may also be an AUDIO_TS folder, but it will be empty for a normal video DVD.

The "file unsupported" message can mean any of a number of things. It could be as simple as the player not liking RW media (not all players are equally tolerant of all media types). It could also be that there is a disc error of some kind. A software player on a computer may be able to ignore the odd error here and there, while a standalone player might not be.

Do you have a problem with more than this one disc? Do you have any others that were recorded on the same device? and if so, do they play ok, or do you get the same error message?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lotrmorgoth
    Have you tryed dvdfab ? Only that has lots of different media file outputs.Also try to avoid RW disc`s because alot of media players dont like that type.But if you insist on using them,go for good brand ( ie Vibatetum etc ).Also if you have an iso of your dvd.You need to download Alcohol52%freeripper .Mount the iso into its virtual drive.Then use DVDSHRINK. At this point IF the dvds structure is correct then DVDSHRINK will scan the image ready for you to burn.But if there is some of file corruption or its not DVD COMPLIANT then DVDSHRINK wil say ERROR or what ever.If this is the case you going to have to rerip the original movie file so its more DVD COMPLIANT (MPEG2).
    Hope this helps
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    other dvds work, I think it has to do with the fact that the vhs is itself a blank vhs that recorded the live tv shows. maybe i'll try running the vhs through the computer, and work from than angle.
    Quote Quote