VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey new here, all this tech talk is wayyy to daunting for someone who's not this technologically advanced

Anyway i've recently bought a Samsung BD-P1600 Blu Ray Player for my new telly and until like 3 days ago I never realised you could use codes and shizzle to unblock the DVD region of your player. I'd found some websites which seemed helpful enough on these specific keying-in codes, but none seemed to work for me;

AHA! I'm a fool, it turned out to be on this site anyway! https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/samsung-bd-p1600/10179

I could not for the life of me to get this work.. i tried it 10+ times and didn't get the number 2 in the conrer of my screen, the only thing that did come up in fact was the big STOP sign on the right hand corner when pressing repeat, to show the function was not useable.

Anyway would be much much much MUCH appreciated if someone could help me out here with either the DVD Region Unlock Code or the BR one... if there is such a thing!

cheers Kennyt
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I too am struggling with this. Tried loads of different ways to enter REPEAT 57538, slow quick etc.

Did you manage to figure it out ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    nope, this is my problem, was hoping someone on here had me a solution!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some of the instructions I have seen say use the RETURN button not the REPEAT button but I have tried both but no....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately it's possible that this hack doesn't work any more due to hardware changes by Samsung. Samsung players are among the most difficult to unlock in the world and the only reports we have had recently about people who did it were for DVD only players. BluRay players can only very rarely have the DVD regions unlocked, so the bad news for you is that there may not ever be a solution for this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Shame, but thank you anyway, I might have to pick myself up cheapo region free dvd player or maybe just use my laptop...

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by kennyt
    Shame, but thank you anyway, I might have to pick myself up cheapo region free dvd player or maybe just use my laptop...

Any ideas?
    Hi,

I bought the SAMSUNG Blu-ray player BD-P1600 in United States - US version, locked Region 1 for DVDs.

I'm from Brazil and I need to make my BD-P1600 Region free, or Region 4, for DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Marcia!
    I recently bought a BD-P1600 in Dubai (region B). I live in Brazil to and followed the instructions to unlock the region code. I tried the remote control coding (REPEAT 57538) many time (more than 20) and sometimes it worked (I could show the code on the left corner, then I put number 9 - I tried putting other codes, like 1 for region A). But, unfortunatly, it seems it didn´t work. I tried to play a Region A Blu-ray movie and it didn´t work. Otherwise, it seems working for DVD disc. I tried a region 4 DVD and it plays normally.

So, I would like to know if someone could help me unlocking the player for Region A blue-ray disc.

Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by scortezia
    So, I would like to know if someone could help me unlocking the player for Region A blue-ray disc.
    This thread was NEVER about a Blu-Ray region hack....it was about a DVD Region Hack.
    Blu-Ray players also play DVDs. Blu-Ray region hacks are almost impossible because they require tearing
    the machine apart and replacing very delicate parts and soldering them back into place.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got the BD-P1500 and it is the same, the instructions that is listed on videohelp to unlock didn't work for me but have read on other forums that some people been successful .

In the end I got pissed of trying and gave up so I bought myself a straight out of the box Multiregion DVD player but instead of going for a cheapo £50 - £100 / $50 -$100 range , decided to pay the extra money and get myself a OPPO DV-983H.
    I Have Always Been Here

Toshiba Regza 37Z3030D, Toshiba HD XE1 + EP-10 ( Both Multiregioned), Samsung BD-P1500 Blu Ray. OPPO DV-983H
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's quite easy to hack this player, if you follow the tutorial. I actually updated my firmware to the most recent before I found out about this hack, still worked 1st time.

For those of you wanting to change your blu-ray region this is also possible by hacking the update file. It's not difficult to do and in some cases will actually enable youtube content. You have to be careful not to hack to a region not compatable with your tv though.

For the person that bought their player in Dubai.......Download the update file for your player from the samsung BRAZIL website.

Open the RUF file in a hex editor http://www.handshake.de/user/chmaas/delphi/download/xvi32.zip is good.

You will notice right at the top SAMSUNG BD-P1600 XAX, change the XAX to MEA, must be in capitals......do NOTHING else and save the file.

Use this file to update your player using the instructions in the manual and you should be good to play dvd's and blu-ray's in your region.

For the person that bought their player in the USA......Do exactly the same but replace XAX with XAA.

Hope this helps

Pretz
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could somebody who managed to get this to work AFTER A FEW ATTEMPTS tell me what happens when it does not work for you - do you see the red "stop sign" or is that an indication that your firmware / player will NEVER work with this "code hack"?

/Trist
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pretzal
    It's quite easy to hack this player, if you follow the tutorial.
    Maybe. Maybe not. Manufacturers make changes all the time that break hacks that worked in the past. It could be that you got lucky and got a model prior to changes that break the hack. It could be that only some models sold in very specific places can be hacked due to hardware differences. Samsung players of all types are probably the most difficult in the world to unlock at present and the odds are higher that for any Samsung player that you won't be able to unlock it than that you will. Note too that BluRay players are EXCEPTIONALLY DIFFICULT TO IMPOSSIBLE to unlock for DVD mutli-region play, so the odds are against you anytime you start with any BluRay player by any major manufacturer. The only BluRay players that can consistently be unlocked for multi-region DVD play at present are those that are not made by any of the major manufacturers. The number of BluRay players that can be unlocked for multi-region DVD play at present is approximately 5 or so, but I don't have a list to give you. Making a BluRay player that can be unlocked even for only DVD play is a violation of the BluRay licensing agreement, which is why such players are difficult to find and why in most cases it requires a firmware change to do the job.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When doing this hack the red circle will appear at the top right corner. My samsung player is a uk model with the XEF firmware, which was purchased only a few weeks ago.

I have heard of some issues with region 1 players that wouldn't work with this hack, although when updated with another firmware from another region (hex hacked), the hack worked.

Its possible that some version of the samsung firmware therefore do not contain this hack, but it certainly does exist.

Pretz
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would't it be best for people with region 2 players to use the firm for Australia for there are no region codes in that firmw?

What is the XXX for region2?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I live in canada and bought a samsung Db-P1600 at futureshop in august. I have alot of dvds from australia and am wondering if i will be able to watch both dvds from aus and canada? I am not worried about unlocking it for blu ray..just dvds. is this possible?

I am very confused about regions and what i would need to do.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am really confused
    I have been doing alot of reading
    i downloaded a hex editor XVI32
    I also downloaded BEv2.05_091015_BDP1600_XAC.RUF
    I bought my player in Canada and I would like to make it region free... what do i need to change. The part that is most confusing me is the XAX and XAA... not sure what needs to be changed to what. Please Help!!!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by levi1923
    I am really confused
    I have been doing alot of reading
    Have you read my post in this thread on Nov. 20? Because you need to carefully read it right now before you go any further.

I have never seen any reports of a Samsung BluRay player sold in the USA or Canada being unlocked. NEVER. Those who claim success with unlocking DVD region coding always seem to live in region 2 or 4. So what that inevitably means is that you will be encouraged to apply a firmware from that region to your player and then try to unlock it. What they won't tell you is that we've had reports in the past from people in region 1 (that's where you live) who applied firmware from other regions and ended up bricking their players. So if you want to risk bricking your player, you can keep going down this path.

The ONLY BluRay players sold in North America that are region free are the Oppo (you have to change the firmware after purchase, but there's info on the internet on how to do it) or Momitsu (a reseller has already hacked the hardware for you after the manufacturer shipped it to them, so it's ready to go out of the box). This is a fool's errand in my opinion and I wish you the best of luck, but please don't come back crying here if you destroy your player. I warned you.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to apply a firmware upgrade as my firmware is 1.00 i think. I may take ur warning and not bother trying to make a new door stop... lol i have enough of those from the fta issues that are happening right now.
    Thanks for the info tho and the warning
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a region B (Australia) Samsung BDP-1600 and I have been able to successfully unlock the DVD player part of the machine.

Does anyone know how I can unlock the blu ray part of the machine so that I can play region A (US) blu ray discs?
    Quote Quote  
  21. One quick way around the PAL/NTSC display problem is to buy a computer monitor, such as a Gateway FPD 2185W, which has extra inputs for rgb, composite, vga, dvi-d. Mine switches transparently from NTSC to PAL, it just reads the signal and displays it. Sometimes I have to tell it it's ok to disply an hdmi signal coming in through the dvi-d port, but other than that. Very few issues.

Computer monitors are designed to accomodate multiple refresh rates and most are made to be sold world wide, so just look for one that says it can accomodate both 50hz and 60hz power and a range of voltage from 90 to 220 and you probably have a multi-standard video monitor. Not much help if you already own a nice monitor, but a good thought for future purchases. Also, nearly EVERY video projector is multi-standard (PAL/NTSC/SECAM), so that's a choice to consider. Even if your monitor doesn't say it does other standards, dig down into the set-up menus. You may find a way to switch manually from one to another.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That's not a bad suggestion happy99, but for those looking for larger sizes it may not be a good choice. I checked Newegg and they show 5 monitors at 30 inches and only 1 above that - a 47 inch HP model.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    langshipley
    You have to take out the circuit board to unlock the Blu-ray discs section of the BD-P1600. I have just unlocked my DVD section of this player and found it was easier than i had expected. Thanks to all the good advice from this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hi, I have recently bought a Samsung BDP1600 in the Netherlands. Is it possible to change the region for region A. I need to play American blu rays. The remote hack does not work on my player. The player doesnt want to install the new firmware from usb. it doesnt load the .ruf automaticly.

Thnx,

Aaron
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Ok I have a bd-p1600 and have successfuly put the brazil firmware on it, I can now watch video from external hard drive but can no longer watch region 1 dvds, tried the open/close repeat ##### region code thing but it doesnt work.

I loaded the brazilian firmware first with the changed XAX to XAC, then installed the brazilian firmware with no changes.

cant seem to get the region code to change.

I am wondering if its possible to edit the region code directly in the firmware in hex? maybe compare the brazilian and canadian one and find the region code for region 1 and replace the region 4 code in the firmware?

any thoughts
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    also, is it possible to go back to a canadian firmware after a brazilian
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Ok I will say it again for anyone that didn't get it like me,.

On the canadian version of the bd-p1600 that I got, I did the hex ed trick on the brazilian firmware.. the XAX one.

once it its installed you need to do the open close, then repeat then enter the code for region 4 firmware which is 76884 (not the region that you want it to be) at which point it will show you your current region in the top left corner, then press 9 which will make it region free, even though in settings it will still say region a/4 BD/DVD, it will play all region dvd.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi i tried your trick, don't seems to work. do you need to change the XAX TO XAC on the top only.

which brazilian firmware are you using.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  29. I have the Samsung BD-P1600 player. I was able to get the hack to work! Thanks so much! It took three times for the "Press REPEAT, followed by 7 6 8 8 4" to work. I used Workshop Hex Editor to change the XAX to XAA. I used the Brazilian firmware BEv2.07_100315_BDP1600_XAX.RUF I put the hacked firmware on a usb drive and it updated the player with no errors.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Anyone been able to edit and apply the 2.12 fw? I keep getting error msgs...
    Quote Quote