VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some of you will probably recognize me from my previous posts, and here I am again!

I have some footage from my Canon HG10 shot in 60i now, and have been playing around on Vegas trying to get it converted from .mts to either wmv, mp4, or avi. No luck so far, all of my conversions either has mis-matching, ghosting, or even white spots.

I've heard Premiere Pro CS4 will natively handle .mts footage, but haven't ventured that route yet. Ideally I'd like to stick with Vegas Pro 9.0. I'm certain it's just a matter of not having my render and video settings just right, but I have yet to find a set of values which will actually produce a clip which hasn't lost quality or had defects appear which wasn't on the raw footage.

I am a newbie to both camcorders and the software, so if anyone has screenshots of the video properties which need adjusted, the render settings, and any custom value changes, that would be ideal. If Vegas simply won't work out, then I will go ahead and try Premiere, but as stated, I'd like to avoid that scenario if possible. I've been led to think Vegas is the route to go, and know it CAN be done. . I'm not looking to do anything special beyond rending into a more usable and somewhat smaller format. I've given up on 24p Cine mode already, but really need to figure out a way to get 60i working, it sounds like it will be better suited for my (mostly outdoor, high-movement) clips.

Here is an example of HG10 footage which has been put through Vegas 8.0 with only minor editing done (NOT my clip):
    http://www.vimeo.com/4277666

Here is a quick sample of my raw .mts extension 60i footage (<10 mb) in case someone needs a reference sample to play with:
    http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=503115

MediaInfo for sample clip:

Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 9.45 MiB
    Duration : 4s 992ms
    Overall bit rate : 15.9 Mbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 18.0 Mbps

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Duration : 4s 904ms
    Bit rate : 15.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 440 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16/9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.322
    Stream size : 8.76 MiB (93%)

Audio
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Duration : 4s 992ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 256 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Video delay : -67ms
    Stream size : 156 KiB (2%)

I'm sure I've probably left out some relevant info, but I will be online for the next few hours at the very least and should have a quick reply to any queries or help!

Thanks in advance for any time or thought lent to this thread!

-Woodser
    Quote Quote  
  2. if you shoot 60i(30i) the settings you should use for the project in vegas are what matches most closely to your source. with the specs you list i would choose in vegas pro 9 - file/properties - HDV 1080-60i . that will not resize your 1440x1080 material on the timeline. you should be able to use it and output anything you want with those settings.

Quote Quote  
  3. Your clip doesn't download for me

But minidv2dvd is right, support for plain 30i avchd exists in vegas, it's just the 30i wrapped 24p that gave you problems yesterday

Without looking at the clip, I can tell you one big problem with vegas is the low quality deinterlace: there is no good option. Both vegas and premiere are HORRIBLE for deinterlacing. If you left it on blend as in minidv2dvd's screenshot, that might explain the ghosting that you observed. Many people resort to avisynth for deinterlacing. (I'm assuming you are deinterlacing, not keeping it 30i ; you never mentioned your final goal, but from your other thread suggests this)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Matching my Project properties with the one's you pictured, and setting my render settings as below:

And a video which looks like this:
    http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=503122

Is this perhaps a codec issue? Any way I could check if it is or not for sure? I seems to be having an abnormal level of difficulty with what should be a simple operation!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Your clip doesn't download for me
    I am uploading both the raw .mts originally linked, and the rendered .mp4 linked above to mediafire now, hopefully the new link will work:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c20e893e81b6ad1d07258ee67c679e4a2776f6f715cee897ce018c8114394287
    Quote Quote  
  6. Your dimensions are all screwed up on the encoded clip
    1648x928???!

Your template says "internet", so if youre goal was to upload for internet you would probably deinterlace and resize 1:1 pixel aspect ratio.

If you are encoding interlaced, as the original, and keeping the frame size, the PAR shouldn't be 1:1 (it's greyed out in your screenshot, because of the template you are using)

Please clarify what you are trying to do...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would like to have somewhat smaller filesizes for archiving, and also have a clip ready to blend with other clips (editing) for an uploadable copy (youtube HD and Vimeo).

Having de-interlace set as "blend" under video properties, and "top field first" in render settings doesn't seem to fix it. The resulting video looks the same to me. I also changed the pixel aspect ratio to 1:1 and unchecked "allow source to adjust frame size" as thatwas the only way I could imagine I ended up with 1648x928? Unless there is another possible explanation
    Quote Quote  
  8. your render settings are a bit whacky. first, if you have ntsc source use an ntsc 29.97 template. second the framesize is all over the place. source 1440x1080 - selected template size 1648x928 - back to allow source to adjust to 1440x1080. not a good idea, and will result in horizontally squished video.

chose internet 16:9 HD 30p if it's for uploading to youtube and leave the framesize as 1280x720.

if you want to render to full HD choose a template like blu-ray 1920x1080 60i

and in both cases make sure the box that says stretch video/do not letterbox is checked.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, finally seem to be on the right track here. . Thanks for the direction minidv!
    Resulting video seems to be exactly like the original aside from the resize, which is no problem

Hopefully the agony is over! Will post back in a while
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm thinking these settings are going to cover my needs for the time being, thanks again minidv2dvd and poisondeathray for taking the time to help out, it is much appreciated!

Hopefully I can pick up some along the way as I start to dig into the pile of current footage I have sitting in a folder, and subsequently get involved with some simple editing.
    Quote Quote