VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry if this has been posted but I've looked everywhere and no one is quite answering exactly what I need.

With my movie collection, I simply rip the full DVD to my computer which leaves me wth a VIDEO_TS folder and a AUDIO_TS folder. Then use VLC and open them like a disc from my disk drive.

But, I'd like to put them on my external hard drive, connect that to my Xbox 360 and play through my home theater. Problem is, my Xbox won't play it the way it is.

I don't want to compres the video at all as file size is not an issue and also most of the DVDs I want to watch are TV shows and I hate tagging.

Is there a way to make it so when I browse my videos on my Xbox and play it, it will read the file just like a disc with the full menus and all. For example, selecting Entourage, Season 1, Disc 1 will bring up the full menu with the episode selection.

All I've been able to find is this: "Set DVD Decrypter to rip the movie as one big vob file rather than the default split files. Then rename the single movie file from .vob to .mpg and it should play fine over the 360.

Will this work?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It will work but with no menus and such. I don't think you will find a method to keep the menus.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also you can't use ntfs drives on the 360. It must be either fat 32 or mac hfs format.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good to know! I was about to reformat my drive into NTFS so I could compress the videos without much compression leaving me with a file possibly above 4 GB.

If I decide to convert them, what do you think would be the best format to keep quality high with file size being negligible?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote