VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've just downloaded an MP4 video file which is more or less 200MB, but no bigger than 700MB...

If I burn this into a CD-R (700MB), can it run on my DVD player, since my player says its MP4 Capable?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Is a blank CD that expensive in the Philippines that you can't just burn one and try it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gregnovella
    I've just downloaded an MP4 video file which is more or less 200MB, but no bigger than 700MB...

If I burn this into a CD-R (700MB), can it run on my DVD player, since my player says its MP4 Capable?

There's no way that we could answer this question with the little information you've provided, so all we can say is "maybe."

How about looking up your player on the web, and see what its specs are? If you still have the owner's manual, maybe that documentation will tell you. Etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    "MP4 capable" means a variety of things. Sometimes that is a code word that means "Plays Divx and Xvid". Sometimes it means "Plays MP4 containers but ONLY if the video is Divx/Xvid and the audio is MP3 or maybe AC3". MP4 doesn't have to use Divx or Xvid as the video and AAC is often the audio. Almost certainly AAC audio won't be supported on a DVD player.

The video could also be of the correct type to be played back, but be of too high a resolution or contain options such as GMC that your DVD player doesn't like. So all you can do it burn it and see if it plays. It might be a good idea to get some CD-RW or DVD+/-RW discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Doubtful, but as everyone has said, we really do need to know what the player is to be sure.

"MP4" or "MPEG4" support in a player usually means that it supports playing DivX/Xvid in an AVI (DivX/Xvid are MPEG-4 codecs). Few players support playing the majority of the .mp4 files you'll find out there, which are often encoded in h264. And most of the DVD players that do let you play video files from a disc or USB drive are limited to DVD resolution, which means that the video can't be over 720x576, or so.

(Edit: of course, I'd post at about the same time as jman and say a few of the same things... )
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote