VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone.

I'm looking at finally getting myself a camcorder and was wondering if you guys could give me some recommendations.
    I'm not looking to get professional results in the end, just something that has fairly good quality and that I can maybe burn to dvd's after.

I'm looking maybe in the $300 - $400 price range (that's not etched in stone) but don't know which type I should get. If it should be the regular camcorder, HD Camcorder of what.

I'll just be doing basic family video recording and also maybe some hunting footage with my wife. I'd like to be able to put it on my pc, do a little editing, maybe sound etc, then burn it to a dvd and be able to play it back in my dvd player upstairs on the tv.

My pc system is a dual core with 3 gig ram, lots of HD space, and it's a dual boot with Vista Home Premium 32 bit and the second HD has XP Pro 64 bit. I have the Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 video card in it as well.

Would appreciate any opinions on which camcorder would be good. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. panasonic still has a decent 3ccd minidv tape cam. gs320 maybe?

DVavi off the tape is easy to edit and convert to dvd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What minidv2dvd said, then there's the HD resolution world if you want to get fancy. The Canon HV20 is around $500 and is a very good HD camera.

You absolutely should address the issue of keeping your shots stable. Watch the movie "Cloverfield" if you want to see what happens when you just shoot handheld with no stabilization. Invest $70 in a tripod, or take a bean bag tripod with you when you're hunting.

Then you'll want an extra battery because you'll only get about an hour's worth of shooting time with the standard battery.

See how it all adds up?

GS320 Footage
    http://www.vimeo.com/5044955

HV20 Footage
    http://www.vimeo.com/784667

Time for a Camcorder advice FAQ...
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can get the Panny GS320 (in your price range) or GS500 at B&H Photo-Google for cheaper prices? The GS500 costs more, but is a better camcorder. I have one and it has served me well. A lot less problems than with this HD stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    ...Watch the movie "Cloverfield" if you want to see what happens when you just shoot handheld with no stabilization. Invest $70 in a tripod, or take a bean bag tripod with you when you're hunting....
    Add some of the later movies of this decade, like the new Star Trek. Extreme close-ups, wild angle shots, and shaky fast camera zooms, plus fake lens glare effects.
    Is this what they are teaching the new students and directors in film school?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't doubt it & I don't condone mindless hunting
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by zoobie
    I don't condone mindless hunting

I fail to see how this is relevant to the questions I asked My question was on opinions of camcorders, that's it.
    Quote Quote