VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there any software out there that can convert video recorded from a Composite source so that it can be played back as an RGB picture? As in direct conversion of the colour system?

I'm asking because I have some personal recordings on DVD which have been captured from a live Digital TV broadcast and recorded onto DVD using one of my set-top DVD Recorders with an external Digital TV box.

However, the set-top DVD Recorder will only allow me to input a Composite signal even if I tell the external Digital TV box to output an RGB signal.

Is there any workaround for this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't really understand what you're asking for. So you want to set your Digital TV box to output RGB over SCART and you want to record the RGB signal onto DVD (presumably because of the better picture quality)? Do the TV box and DVD recorder support s-video? Either via SCART or separate s-video cable?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo
    I don't really understand what you're asking for. So you want to set your Digital TV box to output RGB over SCART and you want to record the RGB signal onto DVD (presumably because of the better picture quality)? Do the TV box and DVD recorder support s-video? Either via SCART or separate s-video cable?
    Yes that is what I want. But my DVD Recorder will not accept a Scart RGB Input only Scart Composite Input.

The DVD has already been recorded from a Scart Composite Input (the Output from the external Digital TV box).

Both the Digital TV box and the DVD Recorder do support S-Video. But I doubt this is going to achieve an RGB signal because like I said this particular DVD Recorder will not accept RGB Input signals at all. The manual for the DVD Recorder states this clearly.

What I'm asking for; is there software that I can use that will effectively upscale the recording on the DVD to RGB for me? So that I can notice an improvement in picture quality. Currently, the recording has been recorded on a DVD from a Composite source using Composite colours.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your question doesn't seem to make sense to me.

If you're talking about a recording already made to DVD, then it's now in 'DVD format' (MPEG-2), regardless of the form the (analogue) signal was input to the recording device. Talking of RGB or composite makes no sense at this point.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by soneman
    Both the Digital TV box and the DVD Recorder do support S-Video. But I doubt this is going to achieve an RGB signal because like I said this particular DVD Recorder will not accept RGB Input signals at all. The manual for the DVD Recorder states this clearly.
    No, but s-video can avoid the problems inherent in composite and allow you to retain more of the source's quality.

Originally Posted by soneman
    What I'm asking for; is there software that I can use that will effectively upscale the recording on the DVD to RGB for me? So that I can notice an improvement in picture quality. Currently, the recording has been recorded on a DVD from a Composite source using Composite colours.
    DVD uses YV12 subsampling internally. Every time you play a DVD, or any video for that matter, you see RGB on the screen. Even if you had a pristine RGB 4:4:4 signal to record it would be reduced to YV12 on the DVD. Sure you could convert YV12 video to an RGB format file but that would not fix anything that is wrong with the DVD -- ie, you cannot get back the quality that was lost by converting the original video to composite. Some problems can be alleviated -- like dot crawl artifacts.

Also note that broadcast video (over the air, cable, satellite, analog or digital) is not RGB. It's all YUV. In analog broadcast it's very close to s-video's YUV 4:2:2 sampling. In digital form it's similar to DVD's YV12. In analog form (anything your DVD recorder will record) s-video is about as close to the broadcast form as you're going to get.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Gavino

If you're talking about a recording already made to DVD, then it's now in 'DVD format' (MPEG-2), regardless of the form the (analogue) signal was input to the recording device. Talking of RGB or composite makes no sense at this point.
    All I'm asking is can a recording (already recorded to a DVD in Composite colours) be converted/upscaled/encoded so that the recording will then play back in RGB colours?

If it's not possible then please say so.
    Quote Quote  
  7. All video is always displayed in RGB colors. Once video has been recorded onto a DVD there is no composite, s-video, or RGB any more. There is only YV12 MPEG2 data. The only way I can interpret your question is this: Can all the quality of a higher quality signal can be restored after it has been converted to a composite signal and recorded onto DVD. The basic answer is no.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by soneman
    Originally Posted by Gavino

All I'm asking is can a recording (already recorded to a DVD in Composite colours) be converted/upscaled/encoded so that the recording will then play back in RGB colours?

If it's not possible then please say so.
    Sure it is possible but it won't increase quality. More likely quality will go down.

Every TV taking in composite, S-Video or other and every DVD player playing to SCART convert YUV to RGB. Also every computer display card converts video to RGB. This doesn't increase quality.

If you convert externally to RGB, quality will go down not up. Your computer display card can output RGB over VGA. Most current generation digital TV sets accept RGB over VGA. That doesn't mean the quality is better.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote