VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks,

Q: I was wondering if there is a Faster way of forwarding an AVI while watching it on a TV via my Philips DVD Player?

Scanning thru the entire of 2 hours of an AVI just to get to the last 10 minutes of the AVI so you can watch it where you stopped it ... is getting to be a pain in the neck!

Is there an easy way of scrolling thru an AVI ... same as going thru a regular DVD?

Thanks,

G!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, not unless you segment the AVI (split it into several smaller videos), or author a DVD-Video disc with chapters. Chapters (or skipping around in a similar manner) aren't supported in most DivX/Xvid players for AVI/.divx playback (and not in the original AVI format, anyway).

Though, if your Phillips player cues up to 32X, like my 5990 does, running through a two-hour video might not be as bad.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Ai,

Yeah man that is where I am at 32X ... but still it is slow ... like I should make a run to the frig and back and still not cued fast enough. Making a dvd to me it is a waste of time and DVD.

THANKS!

G!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In my Philips DVD recorder, I can pull up the info, and type in a timecode with my remote, press ENTER, and it jumps to that spot. Look for this, or read your manual.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Huh. Learn something new every day.

I've experimented a bit (manuals? Who needs them? :P), and found that one method that works on my 5990 is to hit the Title button on the remote twice so that "Go To -:--:--" is displayed, and you can enter a time to jump to (it'll automatically do it when you press the last number).

Sorry - I didn't think the Go To time jump worked with AVIs, and I typically don't watch any video files longer than half an hour or so on the player, so I usually just cue to the spot I want to play.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Brilliant, lordsmurf! I never even thought to try this. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    Brilliant, lordsmurf! I never even thought to try this. Thanks!
    'Tis good to RTFM once in a while...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    No, not unless you segment the AVI (split it into several smaller videos), or author a DVD-Video disc with chapters. Chapters (or skipping around in a similar manner) aren't supported in most DivX/Xvid players for AVI/.divx playback (and not in the original AVI format, anyway).

Though, if your Phillips player cues up to 32X, like my 5990 does, running through a two-hour video might not be as bad.
    My 5982 does the 32X thing, but it seems to actually be far slower than that after a short while. I guess it must be my USB stick.
    Quote Quote