VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking for a way to copy shows I've already recorded to my laptop so that I can burn them to dvd and free up some room on the DVR. I have AT&T U-verse, and they tell me there's no way to do it.

The DVR is a Motorola VP1216.

I read this thread but had trouble following the many conversations.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic361149.html
    But what I got from it is that I can purchase a USB capture device to link the DVR and my laptop, then transfer the files that way. Is that correct?

I realize some shows will have some sort of encryption and can't be transferred, but I'm mostly talking about shows that air on free channels (as opposed to HBO, etc.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BillieJean

The best device going right now is the "Hauppauge HD PVR" $204.00 out the door at NewEgg. It captures right from the Uverse DVR in SD modes and High Def modes. Comes with everything you need to do the job, including the software. Be forwarned that HD editing and burning takes some serious horsepower under the hood. Computer details in your profile leave an awful lot to be desired.

Reelman472
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Reelman472

So the USB capture device would not work or is just not the best option?

The computer is a Sager notebook with a hard drive that was literally replaced two weeks ago. This computer has Windows XP. (Vista is in my profile because my other computer has it, but the Sager is the one prepped for online gaming, etc.)

I looked up the specifics in the system properties:
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73 GHz
    794 MHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Will that suffice?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    232 GB memory with 226 GB free
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BillieJean,

Your computer specs are far below minimum requirements for that device. Perhaps there is another solution to capture SD video with your rig. Perhaps a usb tuner card hooked to the uverse dvr via coaxial cable might work but I have no idea.

Reelman472
    Quote Quote