VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a lot of .avi files that are DivX3 codec and the Xbox 360 only supports DivX5 and up from what I hear. I'm putting files onto one of my external drives and trying to play them, but I need them converted... What is the best way to do this, or rather, the program that will result in the least quality loss to convert to DivX5 or above? Or even to convert to an Xbox 360-usable MP4, as I use GOTSent to handle those pesky mkvs (a great format, its a shame Microsoft is terrible with their file support.) Upon further consideration, I'd much prefer my files in MP4, unless converting to a different codec .avi would be easier with less quality loss.

Note: I know you can use a program and stream pretty much any media to your 360 (TVersity or something like that) but this is not an option for me. Anyway, thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. AVIRecomp will convert to XviD, or for MP4 conversion you could use Handbrake which has a Xbox 360 preset.

If your DivX3 files are anything like mine, they will be of a lesser quality than the more modern XviD or Divx5+ encoded files. Handbrake, with it's deblocking and denoising settings might be the better choice.

It would be a good idea to try both and see which you like best.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Handbrake is proving to be a great program, I'm getting hardly any quality loss, barely discernible.

Not to bring up my old post, but can anyone now help me with .mov files? I have approx. 250 .mov files that I need in either .mp4 or Xbox 360-compatible .avi files and handbrake doesn't seem to handle it. Can anyone recommend the best option as far as minimal quality loss goes for handling .mov files? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The 360 can handle certain .MOV files, but I think they have to be H.264/AAC encoded, like the Apple HD movie trailers.

I can play them fine when using the 360 as an extender with Windows 7, but I have never tried playing them from a USB drive.

EDIT: I just tried the Transformers 2 720p movie trailer from a USB stick and that played perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply, I've tried to play them from my external drive. They're all from one source and all of them cannot play. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I mean, I can always use Any Video Converter.. but I was hoping somebody could help me with a better suggestion since I always get pretty bad quality loss with the program?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try this.

http://www.winnydows.com/page.php?2

Set the Format to 'MP4 PS3 or XBOX360' and go from there.
    Quote Quote