VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I've got a Sayno fh1 video camera - it records in 1080p 60fps (thats what it says on the box)

I've checked the Adobe Premiere / Media Encoder presets but nothing matches this

I've tried puttings the settings in manually -- but to honest, i do not know the exact framerate, bitrate etc of the videos, and i do not know how to find them out???

Is there anyway i can just get Premiere to read the mp4 file and create a preset from it, so i can save all my videos in the same format? Or make it save same as the original file?

I need the files exported to be a 100% match to the videos the camera outputs, so i can stitch them together using Avidemux, as right now, they are not a close enough match, and the stiched videos will not play.

Thanks for help!

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. same old marketing garbage. what they say is 60fps(fields per second) is normal 30i.

mediainfo will give you the details of video files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks minidv2dvd

Mediainfo shows my videos as this...

Code:
    General
    Complete name                    : C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\SANY0009.MP4
    Format                           : MPEG-4
    Format profile                   : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID                         : mp42
    File size                        : 4.56 MiB
    Duration                         : 3s 470ms
    Overall bit rate                 : 11.0 Mbps
    Movie name/More                  : SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA FH1
    Encoded date                     : UTC 2009-07-23 23:23:11
    Tagged date                      : UTC 2009-07-23 23:23:11
    Origin                           : Digital Camera
    TAGS                             : O DIGITAL CAMERA

Video
    ID                               : 1
    Format                           : AVC
    Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
    Codec ID                         : avc1
    Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration                         : 3s 470ms
    Bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Bit rate                         : 10.2 Mbps
    Width                            : 1 280 pixels
    Height                           : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 16/9
    Frame rate mode                  : Constant
    Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.369
    Stream size                      : 4.21 MiB (92%)
    Language                         : English

Audio
    ID                               : 2
    Format                           : AAC
    Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version                   : Version 4
    Format profile                   : LC
    Format settings, SBR             : No
    Codec ID                         : 40
    Duration                         : 3s 456ms
    Bit rate                         : 128 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate                 : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
    Channel positions                : L R
    Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution                       : 16 bits
    Stream size                      : 54.1 KiB (1%)
    And no matter how much i try -- i cannot get Adobe Premiere to export the same

My videos do not have a PAL or NTSC tag -- but premiere wants to put one in, and i cannot see away of removing it. When i run Mediainfo on the file i export with premiere, certain parts are right, but others are not -- and they would only need taking out!

Created video example:

Code:
    General
    Complete name                    : C:\Documents and Settings\Azz\Desktop\test.mp4
    Format                           : MPEG-4
    Format profile                   : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID                         : mp42
    File size                        : 910 KiB
    Duration                         : 3s 50ms
    Overall bit rate                 : 2 444 Kbps
    Encoded date                     : UTC 2009-07-23 08:26:28
    Tagged date                      : UTC 2009-07-23 08:26:28

Video
    ID                               : 1
    Format                           : AVC
    Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                   : Main@L3.2
    Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
    Codec ID                         : avc1
    Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration                         : 3s 3ms
    Bit rate                         : 2 348 Kbps
    Width                            : 1 280 pixels
    Height                           : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 16/9
    Frame rate mode                  : Constant
    Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
    Standard                         : NTSC
    Resolution                       : 24 bits
    Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
    Scan type                        : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.085
    Stream size                      : 861 KiB (95%)

Audio
    ID                               : 2
    Format                           : AAC
    Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version                   : Version 4
    Format profile                   : LC
    Format settings, SBR             : No
    Codec ID                         : 40
    Duration                         : 3s 50ms
    Bit rate                         : 125 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate                 : 172 Kbps
    Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
    Channel positions                : L R
    Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution                       : 16 bits
    Stream size                      : 46.7 KiB (5%)
    Can anyone give me some advice on how i can use the settings from mediainfo to export an exact copy of my sanyo files? I'm using Premiere at work -- but if anyone knows a way to do this in any other software like sony vagas etc, i will get my boss to buy it, or have to get the software at home.

Thanks again for the help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your video is 720p 29.970 fps NTSC video, whether it is labeled NTSC in the header data or not. That Premiere puts that tag in a) isn't the end of the world, and b) is probably more correct than your camera.

You need to use a much higher bitrate when exporting to match the quality of the source. The source is VBR averaging 10.2 mbps, whereas your output is a pretty meager 2.4 mbps. That is a big difference, especially if it is hand held footage.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply guns1inger.

There just dosnt seem to be a way in premiere to get the settings the same.

I tried setting the bitrate to 11.0 Mbps, and it just isnt a match.

You would think there would be a way to export to the exact same spec as an original file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Usually you can get in and customise the settings to a fair degree. I don't use Premiere, so I can't give you specifics, unfortunately.

In an ideal world, you would be able to smart render and format if you haven't changed the video, encoding only the parts you had changed. This was one the many things that still makes DV one of the best video formats developed.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wow, that smart render sounds great -- and is like the question i asked yesterday about splitting an mp4 and inserting an image for a few secs without re-rendering.

What software do you use to do the smart rending?

Thanks again for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know of any that smart render AVCHD, or whatever it is that your camera produces. AVI Demux *might*, but it is a strictly linear assemble editor, not a full featured non-linear editor. It took a long time for smart rendering to appear for mpeg-2, and so it will again for AVCHD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still trying -- this is another full day trying! i'm not joking started at 8am and its 9:25pm. I'm obsessed with getting this to work.

There must be loads of people who have had this problem.

My original mp4 file is say: 50mb
    Why compress/encode it down to 40mb and take 1hr!!!

All i did was drop the file into: premiere, and vegas, and pinnacle, and loads of other video editing software -- and just none of them came out with the same size file, no changes, transitions or anything, just dropped the file in the software, exported at same bitrate, size as orignal, and after an 1hr i get a file that is a bit smaller, and a lot worse quality.

Its driving me nuts!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kray
    There must be loads of people who have had this problem.
    Yes, all the people who buy a non-standard format camera have this problem.

Almost nobody considers how the video will be edited or displayed before using the credit card.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  11. try shooting in a different mode with the camera. it does 1080 in the higher quality modes.

Full-HR: 1920 x 1080 (60 fps/ 24Mbps) Full HD: 1920 x 1080 (60fields/sec 16Mbps)
    Full-SHQ: 1920 x 1080 (30 fps/ 12Mbps) HD-SHQ: 1280 x 720 (30 fps/9Mbps)

maybe the "full HD" mode would be easier to work with. vegas pro 9 might smart render that or the 1080p mode. if it's STANDARD avchd, not the usual samsung custom output.

if you want to post 50mb samples at a webhosting site i'd take a look at them.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I am amazed that APPCS5.5 lacks any sort of input matching. If I had paid for this app out of pocket I'd be demanding a refund. This is as absurd as a word processor saving a document in a random file format but at least everywhere else in the computer world file extensions tell you something and it's pretty easy to match up such things.

That there isn't either A) a preset named "same as input" or B) a way to create a preset from a selected video file just blows my mind.

Intentional necropost because this is the first search result, is exactly what I'm interested in, and the fact that this problem still exists after all this time.

I hope I'm wrong and I'm just overlooking some obvious solution. If so thanks in advance for sharing it and my apologies.
    Last edited by Innomen; 9th Sep 2012 at 00:06. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Innomen View Post
    I am amazed that APPCS5.5 lacks any sort of input matching. If I had paid for this app out of pocket I'd be demanding a refund. This is as absurd as a word processor saving a document in a random file format but at least everywhere else in the computer world file extensions tell you something and it's pretty easy to match up such things.

That there isn't either A) a preset named "same as input" or B) a way to create a preset from a selected video file just blows my mind.

Intentional necropost because this is the first search result, is exactly what I'm interested in, and the fact that this problem still exists after all this time.

I hope I'm wrong and I'm just overlooking from obvious solution. If so thanks in advance for sharing it and my apologies.
    Search Google "new item icon and Premiere Pro" if you want more info

This creates a new sequence based on the input file characteristics (dimensions, fps , etc...)

There's instructions in the Adobe help pdf

Don't feel bad, it's not that obvious, especially if you've never used After Effects before

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/devis_andrew/Creating-Custom-Sequences-2/video-tutorial
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you very much poisondeathray! For both solving my problem and being nice about it

Here are my thoughts and experience for future readers.

So I watched the tutorial and as informative as it is I still wasn't getting it. I'm working from only one source file. My project is about opening a video, cutting out scenes, saving my changes, closing the video. That's all.

When I dragged in the file I right clicked and did "new sequence from clip" anyway (which I had to learn to do since APP doesn't "just open" video files like I would have expected) and as in the tutorial the resulting sequence has greyed out settings, so it appears I was already getting this drag-to-new-icon type result.

My problem was at the export step. Having watched the tutorial I realize now the importance of "sequence" as a word for what I think of as merely the source video(s), and now knowing that a matching process happened when I created the sequence from the clip, solving my problem entailed simply checking the "match sequence settings" check box at the very top of the dialog which greys everything else out.

There appeared no way to tell the export media dialog anything like "same as input" or "same as sequence" within the export drop down. That's what was throwing me. The option I wanted existed, it was just outside/before where my writer logic would suggest it should be.

(Rant: I swear I feel like they build in these little idiosyncrasies into high dollar apps just to justify classes and reference material/tech support sales, and to limit the number of users to increase value all around via scarcity, which is great for making money and job security for GFX people and software publishers but not so much for viewers and non-technical content creators/artists referred to by some in this forum as "riff raff. " https://plus.google.com/115056313943520401920/posts/E1ZGcr7UJSU I lament the amount of art lost to the world for want of technicians or the funding to hire one as a result of non intuitive software design and profit maximization conspiracy. /Rant)

Anyway. What I was looking for here was something like "Save." As in open video, edit video, save video. No other changes but the ones I made during the edit step. This "export" dialog while nice and everything shouldn't be the only/primary way to finish the job. Imagine if word for example didn't allow saving a document, but rather only "exporting" while "save" only saved your "project." That's how confusing this is/was. Of course to continue the writing metaphor (I'm a writer) my mistake was in not imagining the possibility of, and problems resulting from, composing a final document from multiple input documents. (Which is actually kind of a neat idea, and probably has been done somewhere before, in a writing context, and reminds me of kabikaboo.)

Like, "Save" would be kind of meaningless, or at least similarly confusing, if say I was composing a document from a power point, a pdf, a text file, and an html file. Which is pretty much what APPCS5.5 is capable of doing with disparate video formats, sources, and clips. (As demonstrated in the tutorial.)

But still, "Save as" and "Save project as" would have accomplished nearly, if not exactly, the same thing. To me "Export" implies a specialized secondary conversion function. Where as versions of "Save" imply, to me at least, primary output functions. Oh well, I'm confident given this learning experience that there is probably good reason for what I am now perceiving as weirdness.

Thanks again

*Sigh* Except I should have waited till the export process was done before I posted. Because all of the above resulted in a 6 gig *.mpeg from a 2gb *.mp4 source. Seems like the only real way to actually match settings is guess work, trial and error, and media info. Yay for more billable hours.
    Last edited by Innomen; 9th Sep 2012 at 00:19. Reason: Impatience tax.
    Quote Quote