VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Any help appreciated.

I have a dvd a friend made for me, it has a simple menu with just a 'play' button and just one movie. I have recently turned up some unused material and would like to add it to the end of the movie.

I have used TMPGEnc to create the new mpeg2 file (the dvd movie plus my new material) but now I want to place it into a dvd with the original menu with additional chapter points for the extra material.

So I know I need a VOB set for the new movie and the original IFOs for the menu. But I'm guessing I'll need to do some IFO editing to allow for the longer movie? Can all this be done with ifoEdit / vobEdit / pgcEdit and how? Any other software suggestions?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you just want to have it play after the main video (but without making any menu changes), then PGCEdit can easily do it. As you said, you'll have to make a little DVD out of it first. Then open the original DVD in PGCEdit, highlight the main video it's to follow, and go Title->Import Title's Closing Clip. Make sure to tick "Don't pause; it's an animated clip" and follow the easy instructions from there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, thanks I've given that a go and it works a treat, I never knew you could do that in pgcEdit. However for me it isnt the dvd I want to produce.

Having the extra material in a separate VTS vob set doesn't really let the viewer know there is anything to come after the closing credits, also the progress bar in my powerdvd player suggests the program is over at the closing credits. So its likely the viewer would just stop the playback thinking there was nothing more on the dvd.

I have made an extended mpg2 file by inserting the extra material just before the closing credits and it is this mpg2 file I would like to place/swap back into the original dvd + menus.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ColinKe
    I have recently turned up some unused material and would like to add it to the end of the movie.
    That's what you said originally, that's what I explained how to do, and now you change the ground rules. You said nothing about closing credits or progress bars or anything like that. OK, you stuck the extra material into the video and now want to replace the original with this edited one.
    I have made an extended mpg2 file by inserting the extra material just before the closing credits and it is this mpg2 file I would like to place/swap back into the original dvd + menus.
    Just as before, make a DVD out of it. An "extended mpg2" may or may not already be authored for DVD. If it's not, then add in the 3 (?) pieces using the "Add" button in Muxman and author with that. Open the original DVD in PGCEdit, highlight the video to be replaced with the longer edited one, go File->Replace VTST Titles, and follow the instructions. This assumes there's only the one title is in that particular VTS.
    Having the extra material in a separate VTS vob set doesn't really let the viewer know there is anything to come after the closing credits
    For someone watching this DVD in front of the TV set, I don't think it makes a bit of difference if it's in a separate VTS or not. He may quit during the credits anyway, but the fact the extra material is in a separate VTS won't have anything to do with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Manono, thats it !! I got it working. Apologies for the original post - in trying to make it brief and concise I made it ambiguous.
    I kinda hoped it was a not-unusual problem and there was a 'how to' guide someone could point me to. Thanks for taking the time to answer this question, I'm over the moon. Hopefully others will find this useful to them in their editing.
    Quote Quote