VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have about 34gb of video recorded from my point and shoot canon camera (SD750), the format is AVI. I have about 7 parts, I've already combined the videos using software called 'D-Vision 3' and now I'd like to convert to Xvid, however maintaining as high quality picture as possible, discarding as little as possible, for example, skin details to not become blurry. Also, I absolutely need the video to work on my standalone DVD player which has divx/xvid playback. I want to burn the files to a DVD and put them away and play them on the TV rather than on the computer. So this is *really* important.

I've tried using handbrake to convert to Xvid using an AVI container but the audio goes wonky (it runs fine for half a minute, speeds up and then its gone for the rest of the video). Quality of the picture, however, is terrific. Using DivX converter (the official regular one from divx.com) it converts the video JUST FINE, everything is OK however filesizes are large and quality is average at best.

I'm playing around with FFmpegX, but i'm seeing so many options; AVI Xvid using ffmpegX encoder, or mencoder, etc. Then there are options tabs with trellis, quantization, etc. Now, I've read the FAQ and help however it still looks Greek to me, but basically what I'd like to get help with is if theres a way to convert to a high quality file that will be able to playback on my DVD player. File sizes or encoding times are not an issue. So if someone could point me in the right direction, which encoder and which options, that would be great!

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. After trying out AVI Xvid using mencoder, 2000kbps, 640x480, 160kbps, 48khz, all options selected on the left side except for cartoon, interlaced content and quarter pixel.

Picture quality looks OK, except that the video has a delay in the audio at the beginning and produces a cricket-like sound all throughout the video; its very slight and happens every now and then.

Any tips?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The format is not AVI. AVI is a container not a format.

You probably have MJPEG encoded video but some digital cameras use h.264.

PS: Yep you have MJPEG video. MJPEG is common for most digital cameras with either an AVI or Quicktime MOV wrapper. This should have been in the manual.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=ModelTechSpecsTab...&modelid=14919
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. rather than xvid/avi using handbrake, try h264 encoding(x264 codec) with mp3 audio in a mp4 container. 640x480 around 2000 kbps.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    rather than xvid/avi using handbrake, try h264 encoding(x264 codec) with mp3 audio in a mp4 container. 640x480 around 2000 kbps.
    That would work fine however h264 encoding wont play back on my DVD player, ive already tried.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most likely the camera records mono audio and Handbrake can't handle this to be converted properly to Stereo.
    Just try another converter to avoid the video/audio sync issue.
    Quote Quote