VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a few Music videos which are Vob files and in the past they don't really play on my PC. So the other day i just changed the file extension from .VOB to .mpg and it played. Is it wrong to do this? I mean it played perfectly...so my question is because this sounds so simple to do...should i use some kind of software to do the conversion instead.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes - there's more to a .vob file than just an MPEG video. Use VOB2MPG to 'extract' the MPEG from the .vob instead.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you do it ? Obviously you can, because you did.

Will it work ? Yes, and no.

For simple playback you may have no issues at all. However it depends on how the VOB was created in the first place. Some lower end encoders will output directly to VOB files, without the actual DVD structure. In many cases these are little more than mpg files with a VOB extension.

If the source VOBs can originally from a properly authored DVD however, they could also contain other data, including menus, subtitles, multiple audio tracks etc. This extra data can cause playback issues and conversion issues later on. In this case you are better off using a tool called VOB2MPG to properly re-package the video and audio into mpg files.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote