VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using MPEG Streamclip to convert some DVD concert footage to MP4's in iPhone format. The videos will convert and play, but I've been experiencing some nasty artifacting around titles and a sort of banding effect where the scan lines were in the source video. JES Deinterlacer does a much nicer job with the deinterlacing, but it takes much longer and requires a considerable amount of disk space. First I have to demux the VOB to MPEG2 and AIFF with MPEG Streamclip, then run the video through JES which takes quite a bit of time. Is there any way I can clean up Streamclip's output and get this done in one step?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So are you checking off deinterlacing in MPEGStreamclip? If so, you might want to try iSquint. It's no longer supported, but it still works well for making iPod compatible movies. I have also had some issues when doing h.264 encoding from a VOB. Handbrake generally does a good job with this as well, though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Definitely enable the "Deinterlace" checkbox. That usually resolves things quite nicely for me when I encounter interlaced source material.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I've checked off the deinterlace box. The subsequent banding is a bit hard to describe, but it's not the normal interlacing effect. The banding occurs regardless of motion and is particularly visible around high-contrast boundaries. Changing bit-rate, codec, etc. doesn't seem to get rid of the banding. I've used iSquint before, but I'm not sure how well it'll work with my source video. JES does the job, but it would be nice if I could solve this Streamclip issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Deinterlace" check boxes usually use the worst method -- drop field. That always leads to artifacts.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm not sure about the latest snapshot release but certainly the SVN of Handbrake has an excellent decomb facility which might suit your purposes.
    Quote Quote