VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I'll be more specific and brief this time. I have already tried the guides provided here, but I am still a bit unsatisfied with the results. I'm looking for a program that can convert from AVI to MOV, MP4 and 3GP mostly. What I want to find in a program is:
    • Multi-pass encoding (3-pass encoding will do).
    • Multi-thread encoding (2 or 4 threads).
    The reason of the above is that I want to convert AVI movies into formats that can be played on mobile devices such as cellphones. I want it to be multi-pass to keep quality as high as possible at low bitrates and multi-thread for obvious reasons (faster encoding). I tried a nice program called XviD4PSP 5.0 which has everything I need, but for some reason my videos converted with it won't open in QuickTime, for instance, or my cellphone would just play the audio.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried Leawo today and it doesn't feature what I asked. I have a quad core CPU and it only uses 25%, which I assume it only uses only one of its cores. Also, I haven't seen any multi-pass option, not even in "custom". And of course, bad quality output. Too blocky/pixelated.

I tried ImTOO Video Converter too. Multi-pass and multicore, but terrible encoding quality (same as above).

And I think there's no use in mentioning SUPER, since it's not multi-threaded and multi-pass.

Is there anything else?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The Leawo post was removed. Just another spammer.

What container did you use in xvid4psp? You can also try remux to a mp4 using mp4muxer or mp4boxer after converted in xvid4psp.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Multi-pass encoding has nothing to do with quality, and everything with trying to fit the video to a specific size. Single-pass VBR encoding (aka CQ or constant quality encoding), besides being much faster, produces just as good, if not better, quality when compared to multi-pass encoding for the same size. The only possible drawback is that you can't really control the final size. But in many, if not most, situations, that's not really an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I found just what I needed. I've bee trying MediaCoder for a couple of hours and I am satisfied with the results. I was trying to find the most compatible format for my phone, but I had to increase the bitrate to get good results. I got the best quality with H.264.

File size is not really a problem, since I have a 8 GB microSD card.

The increase was from 256 kbps to 768 kbps.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Interested myself in this convertor,did you experience any issues when downloading from authers site,Ifound that when I got to the download page my P C just locks up

pete
    Quote Quote