VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some 250 still photos of which I want to make a slide show. I want to be able to control the time interval between pictures, including - if possible - pictures I took in the "continuous" mode (3 pix/second). I can do that on the computer with the mouse, but I want to be able to do it on the TV screen.
    My DVD player is Panasonic DMR-EX48VK.
    I downloaded "DVD Slideshow GUI" which is supposed to have that capability; they do claim that they can import JPG files (and convert them into Video-type files), but I'm afraid I am not nearly tech-savvy enough to understand how to proceed. They have no contact information.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    According to your profie hou have a XP machine.
    Why don't you try using Windows Movie Maker, which comes with XP.
    You can set the interval timing, the transitions, text for titles, slide narration, and credits. Then save the output as DV-AVI.

Load the output DV-AVI into DVDFlick.
    Create a menu.
    Save the output to a folder.

Use IMGBURN to burn the dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you. I did, and saved it. BUT:
    1) it came out as a MSWMM.
    2) on Tools>Options>Advanced I set the picture duration at 2 seconds, but the small video on the right ignored that and stayed at 5 sec.
    3) I registered for MS Movie Maker Forum - but there is no provision for starting a new thread/asking a question.
    4) how will I save the video as DV-AVI?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Windows Movie Maker: File > Save Movie File. When the Save Movie Wizard comes up, choose My Computer, then name the file and select the location. After hitting the Next button, a Movie Setting menu. Select "Other Settings," which will give you a list of selections. Pick DV-AVI (NTSC) as your setting.

Let it make the file, which might take up a bit of hard drive space. After that, you can drop the avi into DVD Flick. Once the DVD is completed to your satisfaction you can delete the large DV-AVI file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. rosmari, I have used DVD slideshow GUI a couple of times and have been very pleased with the results. You ´re right, it´s not the easiest program to learn but you might want to take a look at these tutorials (specially the flash one) before you give up on a great tool.
    http://download.videohelp.com/tin2tin/DVDsGUI069.htm
    http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/Photo_Slideshow_Using_DVD_slideshow_GUI_page1.html
    Good luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read this over: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/showthread.php/slideshow-software-reviews-290.html

I don't think WMM is going to give you the best quality.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. I downloaded "DVD Slideshow GUI" which is supposed to have that capability; they do claim that they can import JPG files (and convert them into Video-type files), but I'm afraid I am not nearly tech-savvy enough to understand how to proceed. They have no contact information.
    What is the problem? I hope you don't have to be tech-savvy to use DSG.

Project Settings:
    - Open it by selecting the Slideshow menu and select 'Project settings'.
    - In the Project Settings menu select, if you want a NTSC slideshow(if you're in the US. this is what you want...).
    - If you're going to show your slideshow on a TV you might want to check the Safe Area checkbox(to avoid any of the image to be cut by the TV).
    - If you want a different background image load it here.
    - Then okay the Project Settings.

Adding slides:
    - In the Slideshow Menu select Add Slides and Videos.
    - Now hold down Shift or Ctrl at the same time as left clicking all the slides you need in your slideshow and okay it.
    - The slides should now be imported.

Adding music:
    - In Slideshow/Add Music you can add music - if you want more songs played over the slideshow the import a playlist(.m3u) - most audioplayers can save playlists in this format.

Editing slides, adding subtitles and changing transitions/durations:
    - Then arrange the order of the slides using the functions in the Edit menu.
    - If you want to change the duration of the images(counted in frames - in NTSC: 1 sec=23.970 frames), change the transitions or add subtitles - select the slides you want to work on and open from the slideshow menu/Slide Settings.
    - If you have more slides selected, when opening the Slide Settings, all changes will be added to all selected slides.

Preview:
    - In the Slideshow menu/Preview you can see how your slideshow looks(it might not be real-time playback/audio will finish before video - if the transitions are too heavy or the computer has little RAM(memory)).
    - If you double click on a slide you will also be able to preview the selected slide and the next from top down.
    - In Project Settings you can also get a preview of 2 slides.

Export:

- To check the final slideshow, audio timings etc. export to ex. mpg(should be played back in realtime) - this is the format used for DVD's.

Burn:
    - If you like your preview/export and want to burn a DVD then hit Files/Burn. Now if you got ImgBurn installed(it can be downloaded and installed with the DSG installer) it should open up after the rendering and authoring and you can hit burn. If it isn't downloaded and Installed you must do this first - if you're installing to default the location DSG should be able to find it automatically.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't use Windows Movie Maker, but Photostory might do what you want. You need to use the Papa John profiles (google for them) to get the best quality though. photostory is free from Microsoft.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My newest slideshow/movie "toy" is Magix Movie Edit. It's not free but holy crap is it easy to use.

....just a though.

The cheaper version is just as good.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    My newest slideshow/movie "toy" is Magix Movie Edit. It's not free but holy crap is it easy to use.

....just a though.

The cheaper version is just as good.
    thank you, tin2tin. Your instructions look very clear, but to import my pictures, I highlighted them all, and that didn't work. It does work by highlighting each individual one, each time first clicking "Slideshow"."Add slides and videos". With about 250 pix, that's a rather slow process. Is there a way to bring them all over, together?
    Also, for an unknow reason, pix 1 and pix 2 changed position when I brought in pix 3, and they now are pixes 2,1,3,4,5. If it happens again, how can I put them back in order?
    Again, thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Are you certain that you are using the latest version called 0.9.2.1? And keep shift or ctrl pressed when selecting the slides?

With the arrow buttons/cut/copy/paste in the toolbar you can change the order of the slides.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It worked; I did have to do them individually, but with the Shift button it was pretty quick.
    Now, I've been trying to add music.
    I've converted .wma music into .m3u. It is now in "My Music".
    When I go to "Add Music", a window "Owner" pops up, and from that I go into "My Music" and pick the .m3u file. I get the message "0" Not Found.
    Now what?
    Quote Quote  
  13. It worked; I did have to do them individually, but with the Shift button it was pretty quick.
    Huh!?

Did you check what version you're using? (there was a bug allowing users only to import one file at the time - but that was is a very old version... If you're not using 0.9.2.1 then pls update.)

M3u is just a text file(playlist) with paths of various songs. You can't convert wma to m3u. Try to convert it to mp3 instead with ex. Audacity. Wma is not supported by DSG - only wav, mp3 or a playlist(m3u) consisting of wav and/or mp3.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I changed the music to .mp3, but it doesn't accept it either. It says "Error opening File #1" and thenthe file disappears, and I have to reload it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Though I still have no music, I tried to preview the file, but the Media Classic Homecinema that popped up says "cannot render the file".

??

Again, thanks for your patience.
    Quote Quote  
  16. First: In the menu pls check Help > About and tell me what version of DVD slideshow GUI you're using.

On the mp3 file - does it play okay in other programs? (Ex. drag and drop it into the Media Player Classic player).

Make sure the path for music is clear(if it doesn't load the audio properly) in menu Slideshow > Project Settings before previewing.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the GUI version is 0.9.2.1

the mp3 file does play with the VLC Media Player. When I click on Music and then open that particular My Music file, the whole, huge project disappears, and I have to reload it.

in Project Settings, the small field to the right of Music is clear.

subtitles: for one of the slides I wrote a subtitle, and chose the font. In Slide Settings, there are two small fields next to each other - the first for Subtitle, and the other is set on option "Nothing" . I clicked OK, but see no text on the picture.
    Quote Quote  
  18. the GUI version is 0.9.2.1
    Thanks. Did you let the installer download and install avisynth and ffdshow?

the mp3 file does play with the VLC Media Player. When I click on Music and then open that particular My Music file, the whole, huge project disappears, and I have to reload it.
    So DSG is crashing when you're loading that mp3 in the project settings window? Sounds really strange - could you upload it somewhere so I can download it and check it.

One thing you could check is if mp3 decoding is enabled in ffdshow by selecting Start > Programs > ffdshow > Audio decoder configuration and check if the mp3 decoder isn't disabled - if it is you could try the different decoding libs.

In Slide Settings, there are two small fields next to each other - the first for Subtitle, and the other is set on option "Nothing" . I clicked OK, but see no text on the picture.
    That's under Import settings - meaning that's how the images are imported(ex. with the filenames as subtitles).

The checkbox next to Font button is where you enable/disable the subtitles. If that slide with the subtitle is the first selected slide when opening Project Settings window then that slide should be visible in the Media Player in that window and the subtitle should be visible when the subtitle checkbox is checked.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    alright:

- ffdshow IS in my Programs; avisynth does not show in Programs, but when I searched for it, I have an abisynth.py and an avisynth.pyo, 33KB and 34 KB respectively - so I assume I do have the program.
    - I uploaded my file here down below but when I clicked "quick Reply", it refused to send it. It's a .dsg file. How else could I upload it for you? I also tried to send it ((to myself as a test) by email, and that didn't work either.
    - mp3 coding is enabled; it says the decoder is "libmad"
    - I'm sending you an additional message with the picture of "Project Settings".
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is the image of my settings. Note that the Duration and Transition are shown as 10 and 3. I had set them at 100 and 25, but then I set some 20 slides within the show at 10 and 3, because they had been taken in "continuous" mode, i.e. 3 shots per second. I don't know why that should have changed those numbers in the Project Setting, since all the others are still at 100/25.

proj.set.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  21. If Avisynth isn't in your Programs folder - it properly isn't installed - those two files you mention are not a part of the Avisynth install - pls download and install it(or reinstall DSG+download the various programs the installer suggests and okay all the Avisynth install windows). Without it nothing will work(including load music).

Another indication of Avisynth is not working properly is that there is no video loaded in the Media Player in the Project Settings window.

On your screenshot: Your windows setting - ruins the GUI - start reading from here: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic245071-750.html#1946926
    Quote Quote  
  22. It sounds like an incomplete install is the first problem.

I would also suggest that you start with just a few pictures, say 5, and eliminate the "continous mode" jpg files for initial testing.

I have not used DVDSlideShowGui for some time. It has some options and capabilities that are just not available in most other such programs, but one problem I had was that it did seem sensitive to corrupt or non-standard JPG files.
    Simply re-saving the problem JPGs in a photo editor resolved this issue. VERY FEW photo editors or display programs will show or detect the error with the file, but several did, in fact, contain bad data.

Start with a basic, minimal slide show first. Get that working. Then add subtitles, or music, or transitions, or moving path, ONE AT A TIME, testing at each step, also with just a small number of photos.

Then start all over again, using all photos and minimal settings. If that works, verifying the photos usability, then add all the features you previously tested.

If a main goal is variable speed control from the remote, SFAIK this is not possible with a slideshow. Next, Previous, and pause is all you get. I ended up converting to an MPG movie which opened up FF, RW, and various speed options which are dependent on the player.

Also, there is the extreme simplicity method of just putting the JPG files on a data disk. Most standalone players will automatically do a slide show with that. No transitions or music, though.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It all works - even the "continuous" pix inserted on 10/3. Thank you all for your invaluable help ..

I will still want to insert some title slides (which I have yet to make), and will want to change the music background, but don't anticipate any problems - if so, I'll come back.
    And the burning onto a DVD should hopefully be easy.

Again, thank you all.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Just to wrap it up - could to tell me what solved your problems?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the installation must have been incomplete and I re-installed it. I did have some problems uninstalling it - there were some stubborn parts which simply wouldn't go away, and it took some coaxing to re-install it.
    Then I also tried it all out with just a handful of slides, and gradually worked my way up to the big project, which plays now for about 30 minutes and is a pleasure to watch.

So, thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Did you solve the interface(Project Settings) problems?

It comes out wrong in your screenshot - and not all functions are posible to acces - compare with my screenshow in the link above.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    frankly, I didn't check. I'll let you know when I have it up again, later today. It takes a very long time to upload.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Well installing Avisynth is not going to solve that interface problem. You'll have to do what that user have descriped in that thread I linked to above(changing the dpi of windows)
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1) the Project Setting is correct at 100/25, even though I have some 20 pix at 10/3

2) it took about 6 minutes to upload the file

3) I don't know what you mean by Interface problem. By the way, the photos I brought in were of different resolutions: 1704x2272, 4224x3168, 1600x1200. On the slideshow, they are 720x480, which is acceptable to me. If it's of any interest to you, my computer is set at 1024x768.

4) Now, last but not least: I made some titles on pdf and am trying to convert them to jpeg. Do you know of freeware that does it?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    one more thing. On the slide show, the picture is set in a red frame on a blue background (see sample).

Is there a way for the image to cover the whole field (when horizontal, and be the whole height when vertical?

temp2.pdf
    Quote Quote