VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking forward to buy a DELL laptop. It says ..

15.6" 720p WLED (1366x768) Display with TrueLife(TM)

So shall I be able to play 1080p MKV movies here? They are giving option for BD drive too with this product.

Code:
    http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=in&cs=indhs1&kc&l=en&oc=S540503IN8&s=dhs&fb=1
    Please help with this...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you get the Bru-Ray option, the graphics chipset will downscale to 1366x768 and inverse telecine or deinterlace as necessary. If the source is 24p it will be framerate sampled to the display LCD frame rate (typ 60Hz). Make sure the graphics chipset supports PureVideoHD or AVIVO-HD for better processing.

If the display chipset is advanced and the laptop designers inplemented HDCP properly (output from DVI-D or HDMI to HDTV) then you can hook it up to an HDTV at higher resolution than 1366x768 but frame rate processing will still be suspect unless proven innocent. Don't expect similar performance to a stand alone Blu-Ray player but you might be surprised if it all works. Best read serious reviews first.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh thanks...any other replies plz?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Can you play them, Yes.

Will they be 1080P, No. The display can't handle it.

Suggestion would be to find a laptop with a display which can handle 1080P if that is the resolution you want to see.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but how do HDTVs with HD ready can handle 1080p input...

Like here is it applicable? also DELL says i can upgrade this laptop with BR ROM..so what in this case?
    Quote Quote  
  6. In the best case, the laptop will output 1080p to the HDTV and the laptop display will either be scaled down to 1366x768, or it will be a 1366x768 window onto the larger 1920x1080 image (ie, you will only see part of the 1920x1080 picture on the laptop's display).

A worse case will leave you with 1366x768 being sent to the laptop display and the HDTV (which will then scale up to its 1920x1080 native res). Or the image being sent to the HDTV will be 1280x720 (because that's a standard video resolution) which will then get scaled up to 1920x1080.

In the worst case, a Blu-ray disc will not display anything at all because the laptop or HDTV doesn't support HDCP.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes i think it will scale down to 1366x768...

SO u mean in HD ready Tvs we see a part of the original picture???
    Quote Quote  
  8. No, the graphics chips can output 1080p to the HDTV. It's the laptop monitor that will continue to display either a scaled down version or only part of the frame.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is your HDTV?

Most older "HD-Ready" sets only accept 1280x720p or 1920x1080i over analog component. If your TV has HDMI then check the manual for resolutions accepted. 1080i can work well if the HDTV does a good inverse telecine. But be aware Blu-Ray discs will be restricted to 720x480p over analog component.

Newer HDTV sets will accept 1920x1080p/23.976 over HDMI. Check your TV and laptop manuals.

As mentioed above, many laptop display chipsets will have difficulty outputting HD to both the DVI-D/HDMI and LCD screen at different resolutions at the same time. Read reviews carefully.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Putting in a Blu-Ray drive will not change the graphics capability in any way. Meaningless.

Have you checked what video output ports are even available on the box?

You might want to go for the mobility Radeon upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I would definitely go with the Radeon 4330 over the Intel Extreme(ly poor) graphics.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow! sorry i am newbie..
    so plz say me in simple non-techie lines
    shall be able to play 1080p videos or not?
    better if anyone using laptops like this..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by anirban
    Wow! sorry i am newbie..
    so plz say me in simple non-techie lines
    shall be able to play 1080p videos or not?
    better if anyone using laptops like this..
    Bottom line. It may be able to play 1080p (depending on format) but it can't display 1080p. It will display 1366x768. For 1080p you need a more powerful laptop or a desktop with better specs.

Is that clear? If not what?
    Quote Quote  
  14. The CPU in that laptop can handle 1080p h.264 decoding, and the Radeon 4330 graphics chip can handle 1080p decoding. But the display is not 1080p so you will see the image scaled down to 1366x768.

That laptop does not appear to have DVI or HDMI outputs so you will not be able to play Blu-ray to an HDTV (unless you remove the BD+ and AACS protection). Unprotected 1080p sources may play depending on whether or not you can configure the VGA output to 1920x1080 and connect to an HDTV with a VGA input that supports that resolution.

If you want to see full 1080p on the laptop's screen you need to get a Studio XPS 16. But it costs a lot more.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay so it will scale down to 1366x768..right???? Thanks..

So will I see any part of the source picture clipped of kind of????
    Quote Quote