VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some content that was made to 1.4G and a myfilename.sub file to go with it.

If I use Auto Gordian Knot to reduce the file size will the new avi find and read the .sub file?

This is not a .srt. It is listed as the extension .sub.

Thanks as always.

Also any new AGK releases? Last I saw was 2.55
    Quote Quote  
  2. It shouldn't be a problem as long as the SUB file has the same base name as the new AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello again,

Today VLC says it doesn't recognize the .sub extension but it ran it ok with the original
    content.

Can the sub file be renamed .srt or some such?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I think the type of subtitles you have requires two files: a .IDX file and a .SUB file. The .IDX file contains the timing information and the .SUB file contains graphic images. VLC will complain if you have only the .SUB file.

I believe there are a few other subtitle formats that use the .SUB extension.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah, if it's the text-based SUB file, you can open and read it in Notepad and it's only 50-100 KB in size. If it's the image-based SUB, it's much larger in size (typically several MB), looks like gibberish when opened in Notepad, and needs the IDX file to be used.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think he meant to say text base subs are usually around 50 to 100 KB in size, not MB. Graphic subs are usually 2 to 5 MB.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hehe, I was editing as you were posting. Thanks. Oh, I edited after you posted, but hadn't refreshed to see your post.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well, no harm if it can't be resized. I don't know where all these different file extensions come from. There certainly is no standardization.

Thanks to those who answered.
    Quote Quote