VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all. I'm running iskysoft video converter. I'm trying to convert an avi to mov but the audio is not in sync with the newly converted file. Any suggestions? Thanks-Joe

I also need to convert mkv files to mpeg, avi or mov. Do you know of any software for a mac that can do this? I've tried iskysoft video converter but it does not support mkv files. Thanks for any suggestions.

Joe-
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is the sync error the same the duration of the playback or does it gradually get worse as it plays? The first can usually be fixed by adding a audio offset.

The latter may be caused by the audio and video files being of different lengths. You would need to change the length of one or the other. This can commonly be caused by trying to convert a AVI type file that has MP3 VBR audio. Change the audio to CBR and try the conversion again.

A third type sync error can be a combination of both, usually caused by corrupted files. This can get a bit complicated.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Redwudz.. thanks for your reply. The clip starts out in sync but then the audio drifts behind the video. I am attaching a screenshot of the settings I am using.

Joe

picture%202.png
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That appears to be AAC audio. Do you have to convert it for your playback device? AAC is commonly used with Macs and iTunes and iPods. If you just mux it with your Mov, would that work? What audio format are you converting it to? I'm not that familiar with AAC, but if it uses Variable Bitrate Audio, could still be the problem. Sync error is a common problem with conversions of Xvids with MP3 VBR audio to MPEG.

And you would probably get better answers to the second, and probably the first question in our Mac forum if that's the OS you are using. I can move this thread if you like.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Redwudz... the AAC setting is the only option available. If you would please move this thread to the MAC forum I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks-Joe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xxxjojoxxx
    Hi all.
    #1 I'm running iskysoft video converter. I'm trying to convert an avi to mov but the audio is not in sync with the newly converted file. Any suggestions? Thanks-Joe

#2 I also need to convert mkv files to mpeg, avi or mov. Do you know of any software for a mac that can do this? I've tried iskysoft video converter but it does not support mkv files. Thanks for any suggestions.

Joe-
    #1. Hi Joe.
    Welcome to our corner of the universe!

This can be done typically using any of the following softwares, cost included in parenthesis:

* MpegStreamclip (Free)
    *ffmpegx ( $15)
    Quicktime Pro ( $30)

I would also recommend that whatever you use, you make sure and install the
    Perian add-on for Quicktime ( www.perian.org) so that typical .avi files
    (DIVX, XVID, MPEG-4) can be decoded correctly, keeping the audio and video in sync.

#2. For mkv files, the best I found and like is MKVTools ( formerly MoKgmV2DVD).
    You can also use ffmpegx as well as Quicktime Pro.
    A few simple clicks and you can turn a .mkv file into an xvid encoded .avi file,
    with the subs hardcoded in the file, if subs are present.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Terryj. Thank you for your reply.. very helpful information. I might wind up purchasing quicktime pro and installing the perian add-on.

As far as the mkv files.. I will try that in quicktime.

I do have one last question. I'm still fresh to the mac scene. I've always used dvdshrink in windows to rip dvd chapters. I'm stuck as to what to use now for my mac that is similar to DVDShrink. I want to rip from the dvd by chapters and convert to mov files. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Again, thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    for the mac we use the wonderful app known as DVD2OneX,
    found at www.dvd2one.com.

You would use dvd2onex to rip from DVDs ( non commercial)
    specific chapters you want, and then use MpegStreamclip
    ( or Quicktime Pro) with the mpeg-2 add ( $20, available at
    store.apple.com) to convert the ripped chapters to
    .mov files.
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are a life saver Terry! DVD2one works great. However, I just need to know how to rip the chapters into separate vob files. When I select multiple chapters, they are being ripped into one big vob file. Thanks, Joe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Select Movie Only in DVD2ONEX main window,
    when it opens your VIDEO_TS folder,
    it will read like so:

NAME OF DVD
    SETTINGS
    TITLE 1

toggle Title 1, and then select Cells.
    Uncheck the Chapters you do not want to make
    into a vob, and it will save just that chapter to the vob.
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    kind of an old post but....

i use the iskysoft converter as well and I also get the audio lag after the avi is converted to mpeg2. Is there a program in my mac that will cnvert the movie file for me? I simply want to convert it without sacrificing audio time or suffering screen jerks. I used to convert my avi to mpeg2 then use my toast 9 to burn it to a DVD.

I'm also kind of a newb so if you suggest an application please explain step by step what you click on to convert the movie.

Thanks a bunch!
    Quote Quote