VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to start ripping my DVDs to stream from my NAS device to the 360

the 360 sees and streams from the NAS to the 360 just fine for what I tested.

Do I just want to follow this process from here - https://forum.videohelp.com/topic319304.html

I also want to make sure I keep it as high quality as I can and keep the 5.1 audio track for surround sound.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes that should do from what I can tell.

Just remember to make sure it is wmv and wma audio - that may be the only problem with that guide.

I THINK it might be able to play wmv with ac3 5.1 but I never tested that. I know my 360 can play wmv with wma 5.1 audio. You need it to be wma professional 10 for full 5.1 compatiblity.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't get it to WMA audio, my only option is WMV

audio track it says AC3 6ch
    Quote Quote  
  4. The only thing I have found that will easily convert 5.1 AC3 to 5.1 WMA Pro is Tmpgenc Xpress, using freeware to do it ends up being a real PITA.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So w/ Tmpgenc Express I can take a vob file and convert it to a 5.1 WMV file?

Free or if I have to purchase it, I just want the best solution to take a single VOB file I have ripped from a DVD and convert it to a 5.1 WMV file to stream to my 360.

Quote Quote  
  6. Tmpgenc Express will get the job done for DVD to WMV with 5.1 WMA audio. The XBOX will transcode the 5.1 WMA to Dolby 5.1 on the fly.

The only down side is that its slow. I have a quad core PC and it takes twice as long to do a DVD to WMV than DVD to H.264/MP4 video with Handbrake. Plus, if you have forced subtitles, you will have to demux it from the DVD and load the file into TMPGENC.

I only use it from BLU-RAY to WMVHD to stream from my Media Server. For DVD's I use Handbrake. While I only can do 2.0 Dolby ProLogic II, the audio qulity is good, video quality is great and I can rip 4 DVD's in Handbrake in the same time it takes Tmpgenc to do one.

I hope that one day MS will support MKV on the XBOX360. (It "supports" Divx now, and Divx 7 is MKV and not that hard to support) If MKV becomes playable on the 360, I will drop WMV-HD / Tmpgenc.
    For the love of God, use hub/core labels on your Recordable Discs!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    speed is not a problem, I usually just let stuff run overnight or while I'm at work

So Tmpgenc Express sounds perfect!

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It also doesn't have to be WMV. It'll stream just fine with Divx/Xvid with AC3 5.1 and MUCH more compatible with other devices. I'd recommend using Xvid4PSP, AVI Hardware for video and direct copy for audio. I use single pass quality at 2 with great results.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jntaylor63
    Tmpgenc Express will get the job done for DVD to WMV with 5.1 WMA audio. The XBOX will transcode the 5.1 WMA to Dolby 5.1 on the fly.
    using Tmpgenc Express and it's awesome

doing one now to WMV9 advanced profile and WM10 for audio 5.1

Going to take a while, but does a GREAT job so far

thanks
    Quote Quote