VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I used The Film Machine with cce at 4passes to encode a HD video file of mine to DVD, but it ended up just a little too big to burn off. 108% according to imgburn.

I can probably shrink it down with DVDShrink, but, I'd like to know the more "professional" method(s). Since it's a high quality encode. I did however try degrading the credits in DVDShrink but it wasn't enough.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you already lost the hd part of it when you encoded it to dvd you went from 1080p or 720p to 480p. so shrinking it that last little bit(.08%) with dvdshrink shouldn't be noticeable.myself i would encode it to blu-ray with one of the tools for hd. either you have a blu-ray player now, or else you'll probably eventually get one at some time.
    member since 1843
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I knew that thanks. Was 720p btw.

If I had a HD-DVD/bluray player let alone a HDTV then yes, I'd do that and wouldn't be converting to Standard DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink uses a requantizing algorithm, so you won't suffer noticeable quality loss for an 8% filesize reduction. You've already done a transcode (and to a much lower resolution, at that), so being fussy about quality at this point makes little sense. Just Shrink that puppy and be done. Requantizing is a very fast operation (as opposed to transcoding), so you can get results quickly.
    Quote Quote