VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm wondering how to hard sub an mkv file to avi using the original font styles that are in the sub file in the mkv. I'm wondering how to do it like the anime subs do their avi hard subbing with the font styles. I'm an uploader and encoder but i don't know how to do this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try avidemux and under filters add the ssa/ass subtitle filter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it doesn't work it says fatal error occured
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this doesn't work when the encoded file is h264, a fatal error occurs.. any workarounds? also checking, does this method successfully hardsub effects from the .ass/ssa file? the file seems to be of origin program "Aegisub" which subtitles can be placed anywhere, with any font [available] and allow rotation, and effects...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, everyone! (^_^)

Originally Posted by yanger View Post
    this doesn't work when the encoded file is h264, a fatal error occurs.. any workarounds? also checking, does this method successfully hardsub effects from the .ass/ssa file? the file seems to be of origin program "Aegisub" which subtitles can be placed anywhere, with any font [available] and allow rotation, and effects...
    I didn't try this with AviDemux, but I did try it with the newest version of VirtualDub (1.9.11), using the Matroska plugin and, since you mentioned Aegisub, the VSFilter that comes with it.

From Aegisub's Help:

Hardsubbing with VirtualDub

If you're already familiar with VirtualDub filters, and don't intend to do any other video processing, you should note that it's possible to use VSFilter as a VirtualDub filter as well. Just rename the .dll to .vdf and copy it to the VirtualDub plugins folder. The filter will then be available as "TextSub".

Warning: VirtualDub comes with a TextSub of its own, that is called "TextSub 2.23". This is a very old version that, amongst many other issues, cannot parse UTF-8 (the default Aegisub encoding) files properly. This will result in any non-ASCII characters being rendered as gibberish. NEVER USE THIS FILTER.
    Extract the file Matroska.vdplugin from the .zip (link above) and copy it your VirtualDub folder:

VirtualDub
    plugins <--- put VSFilter.vdf here
    plugins32 <--- put Matroska.vdplugin here
    After that, open your MKV file in VirtualDub, go to Video -> Filters, click the "Add.." button, scroll down, select TextSub, click the "OK" button, browse to where you .ass file is located, select it and then just click "OK" when you're back to Filters. Now select your video and audio options and save the file.

The resulting video should have your .ass subtitles, complete with all the fonts and styles.
    Quote Quote