VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is like the 8th forum ive been on+no one has a valid answer to this,im on software "try" number 14,xilisoft/vobmerge/vobedit/ultrajoiner/megajoiner etc etc i have tried just about every one+its annoyin,im not filmin titanic-i simply need 2 join some vobs........
    In short i have a recorded dvd from tv.1 hour long in 9 chapters around 1.3-1.6 gig (some are 1.3 some are 1.6 etc)

I need these in 1 playable file whether it be avi/mpeg/divx.i have a brand new dvd player/recoreder that does everything,great machine.my lappys have vista+xp respectively-both lappys do the same thing.i have tried all formats from dvdr/w to normal dvds(both + & -)still no joy.

On joining the vobs 2gether the 1st part (or chapter) is fine,then after the join goes out of sync+gets progessively worse to the point of absurdity.the dvd plays fine in lappys+my dvd players-the file/s are fine+play well+in sync.
    I went on one site & one guy "theorised" that if i downloaded like 9 programs & split this & that+re-encoded to fruit bat mode -so over complicated in other words.
    I have tried the dvd recorder-settings allows everything from hyper long play to ssss play for max quality-ONLY THE SHORT PLAY ONES WILL PLAY IN MY COMPUTERS!
    XILISOFT WOULDNT MERGE THE FILES,(just copied them to a new file+they were the same)
    ultrajoiner does join but the sync is terrible as is vobmerge/vobedit all the vob ones.
    Im a bit stuck now as i dont know what else to try,there has to be a simple program that works,without removing the audio+re playing it-the file works fine now -it the program /s that cause the sync problem ,so i assume there has to be one that works -properly,many people use them & when i used 2 get tv shows on torrent most of those were conversions from dvd/recorded dvd files +they played seamlessly.
    Would appreciate any council,many thanks,guv
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mcfcguvnors
    In short i have a recorded dvd from tv.1 hour long in 9 chapters around 1.3-1.6 gig (some are 1.3 some are 1.6 etc)
    Rip the DVD with DVDDecrypter.....remove the chapters(especially if the recorder
    placed them automatically). The option is called File Splitting NONE in IFO Mode
    of DVDDecrypter. You will end up with one giant lump of video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Give MPEG Video Wizard DVD a try. I've had excellent results with this program. If you go to Wombles web site, they mention some of its tools that help correct some issues that DVD recorders may create in their files. Usually, all I need to do is drop the vobs into the timeline and make any cuts or edits. Then open the DVD maker, add chapter points and menus if needed, then let it fly. When done, you have a new Video_TS folder ready to burn. It will only re-encode any edits you have made. Also, you may want to look at VideoReDo. It is similar in function to MVW. I find MVW to be a bit more intuitive though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JimmyS
    Why would he pay $70 for a tool that has ZERO to do with what he is trying to achieve?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the help guys,it does do chapters automatic,the option of removal is for viewing only not actual removal,will have a bash with the decrypter anyway,cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mcfcguvnors
    thanks for the help guys,it does do chapters automatic,the option of removal is for viewing only not actual removal,will have a bash with the decrypter anyway,cheers
    Automatic chapter inserting on quite a few DVD recorders is BAD NEWS...my dad's
    recorder for one...and a friend in California for another....both are different brands too.
    Also....if you see the DVD recorder's "menu" at the start(and finish sometimes) of what DVDDecrypter
    gives you (the one big VOB file)....you'll need to remove that with an editing program. Seeing those menu
    pieces in your video is also a tell-tale sign of a badly authored DVD Recorder DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Why would he pay $70 for a tool that has ZERO to do with what he is trying to achieve?
    I think I missed the part where the OP said he wanted one continuous file. In that case he would only need to drop in the vobs and direct stream copy to to an MPEG2 file. He mentioned sync. issues with the other tools he has tried. MVW DVD has some tools that are pretty good at correcting issues with "sticky" files w/o any re-encoding involved. I do a fair amount of SD and HD MPEG2 capturing, and I find this program indispensable, hence I hardily recommend it to any one who is working with MPEG2 type files. He can down load the 30 day (fully functional) free trial, and if it does whats needed, he's home free. Then decide if it's worth the 49 bucks (actually, 32.10 GBP as the OP is in the UK). The price was reduced a while back.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Just download the Join Vob files tool from beginwithsoftware.com. Straightforward and easy to use - and FREE
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    try this
    You can also join the 2 vobs via a DOS copy command:

copy /b "C:\path to vob\VTS_01_1.VOB" "C:\path to vob\VTS_01_2.VOB" "C:\output directory\output.VOB"
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=847318#post847318
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do this years now with mpeg2vcr
    Costs 14 euros (or something close) and remains the best and most simply linear editor for mpeg 2.

I Hope one day to see an identical version capable to handle H264. I could rest in peace for a long - long time then...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SatStorm
    I do this years now with mpeg2vcr
    Costs 14 euros (or something close) and remains the best and most simply linear editor for mpeg 2.

I Hope one day to see an identical version capable to handle H264. I could rest in peace for a long - long time then...
    I bought and used Womble MPEG-VCR a number of years ago, all the while drooling over their MPEG Video Wizard app. because I couldn't afford its $300 US price tag. That's right, $300! MVW is a super-set of M-VCRs features, wrapped in a very nice NLE editor type user interface. Then Womble made a super-set of MVW with MVW DVD which has full DVD authoring capabilities. All editing (except DVD authoring) is done right in the timelime. Price now is $49 US (36.99 euros), well worth the extra 22+ euros over the price of M-VCR IMHO.

If any one can pull off a good H.264 editor, I think Womble is the company that could do it. Just imagining all of Wombles features for H.264 files almost make me weep.
    Quote Quote  
  12. people might be more helpful if you didn't use annoying bold formatting. it's just as bad as all caps. try again in a new post and i might even read it if it's in normal font
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really like DVD Decrypter for older DVDs since you can save as a single VOB but I have found that trying to do DVR rips from my friend's Philips, I lose the first 1GB off of almost every DVD I try so you are better off using the free DVDFab to rip the DVD and DVD Shrink to save as a single VOB. If you have the pay version of DVDFab then you can use DVD to Mobile option and choose Generic. In the drop down menu, choose VOB Passthrough and make sure it's set to No Split (I believe that is default).

Every single option I've tried to edit these files, I get out of sync audio (and I've tried dozens of different options, including MPEG Video Wizard). The only program I've found that doesn't produce out of sync videos is VideoRedo. The first thing to do when opening the VOB is to choose Tools > QuickStream Fix to fix the corrupt file that the Philips recorder produces. This fixes the seek problem that is associated with these files which I assume is what causes the sync issues and the problem with DVD Decrypter only being able to rip part of the disc.

I read somewhere that you can join VOBs with VideoRedo but haven't tried yet on my friends PC. If so then that would make things a lot easier since it would cut DVD Shrink and DVDFab both out of the picture.

I'm going over there tomorrow to work on a few more discs so I'll post back and let you know how it goes.

VideoRedo is a pay program as is DVDFab Platinum.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1 playable file avi/mpeg/divx from a recorded dvd from tv, try the following:-

(1) download and install VOB2MPG located at https://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG
    (2) place recorded DVD in PC
    (3) run VOB2MPG, and you will have a single playable file in mpeg
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by shootjos

(1) download and install VOB2MPG located at https://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG
    You need to fix the problem before it gets to additional software...especially
    if it involves a Cyberhome or Apex DVD recorder that created the disc.
    The sync problem will most likely be simply passed on from the original
    disc...just like the OP has probably been doing for his past 7 forum visits.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Originally Posted by shootjos

You need to fix the problem before it gets to additional software...especially
    if it involves a Cyberhome or Apex DVD recorder that created the disc.
    The sync problem will most likely be simply passed on from the original
    disc...just like the OP has probably been doing for his past 7 forum visits.
    DVD recorders often have strange DVD structures. FixVTS can help:

This is especially useful if your DVD had some kind of copy protection or recorded with a DVD Recorder that prevents DVDShrink, Vobblanker, etc from opening it. FixVTS can fix that for you
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went to my friends today and worked on some more of his DVR discs with Videoredo and it will join all the VOBs so that cuts out the other programs we were using and Videoredo does everything we need.

Another problem he had was that the COX box recorded the audio too low so we were converting them all to AVI with Virtualdub which allows you to raise the volume on the audio. There is a tool in Videoredo that boosts the audio so now we don't have to recode them. We can keep them all as MPEG2 and not lose any quality.

I like free programs myself but this is one software that I would be willing to buy. It's not as easy as Virtualdub or MPEG2Cut2 at saving separate clips (he's working on music videos) but it's great for cutting out commercials.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like free programs myself but this is one software that I would be willing to buy. It's not as easy as Virtualdub or MPEG2Cut2 at saving separate clips (he's working on music videos) but it's great for cutting out commercials.
    Checked the Videoredo forum and it looks like there is a way to save the separate clips by using scene mode and batch mode instead of cut mode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Give MPEG Video Wizard DVD a try. I've had excellent results with this program. If you go to Wombles web site, they mention some of its tools that help correct some issues that DVD recorders may create in their files. Usually, all I need to do is drop the vobs into the timeline and make any cuts or edits. Then open the DVD maker, add chapter points and menus if needed, then let it fly. When done, you have a new Video_TS folder ready to burn. It will only re-encode any edits you have made. Also, you may want to look at VideoReDo. It is similar in function to MVW. I find MVW to be a bit more intuitive though.
    I sent you a PM message
    Quote Quote