VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to connect a portable DVD player (1/8" stereo A/V output) to a video projector that takes RCA style inputs (white, red, yellow).

I'm using something like this:

also called a "camcorder adapter" commonly.

I had it working before, but I lost the cable I was using. So I scrounged around and found another, but for some reason this one doesn't work. I just get a blue screen (no signal) on the projector.

The crazy thing is, the cord works with the camcorder; but it doesn't work with the DVD player.

I'm wondering, are all these adapters wired the same? Is it possible that the negative or ground connector is in a different position on the 1/8" jack on some? For example, if the cable I'm using now was made for my camcorder, maybe it doesn't work with other devices. AGain it works fine with the video camera but I get nothing - no sound, no picture, with the portable DVD player, and I'm certain it was working before, with a different adapter that looked the same, but perhaps it isn't. Is there a standard for the positions of the contacts on the 1/8" jack and do some camcorder companies have a different setup? (my camcorder is a Canon).

I'm going to try getting a new cable, but I wanted to check here to see if this could be the problem first.

Thanks
    Gary in Vermont
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The short answer is kinda sorta no; there is a standard color coding and wiring for the RCA connector part of these cables: Yellow is video; red is the right channel audio, and white is the left channel. The tricky (and possibly nonstandard) part is how the subminiature plug maps to those RCA connectors.

If you have an ohmmeter, it's easy enough to check your cable to see if it conforms to the way you need it. At minimum, you can check for continuity and shorts -- if that all checks out, but the cable doesn't work, you can probably conclude that the problem is in a cable wiring difference (assuming that the player really isn't dead).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    kinda sorta no X2.
    In general they try to keep the tip and next ring the same as audio (tip left, ring 1 right, rest ground) so that if you plug it into a regular strereo output the video is ground and the L/R works.

but.... that's theory not practice.

Same goes for an iPhone L/R + microphone (vs video) plugged into a stereo jack.

I do know that on an iPod video that the order is L/R/Video so that you can use regular L/R ear buds but then the cable you show to get L/R/video.

Chances are that the ground pick up is SLIGHTLY low and it's connecting to the video ring not the ground ring for your cable.

Bottom line I'd start by pulling it out a tiny amount and then try to find another cable where the spacing is slightly different.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by tomlee59
    The short answer is kinda sorta no; there is a standard color coding and wiring for the RCA connector part of these cables: Yellow is video; red is the right channel audio, and white is the left channel. The tricky (and possibly nonstandard) part is how the subminiature plug maps to those RCA connectors.

If you have an ohmmeter, it's easy enough to check your cable to see if it conforms to the way you need it. At minimum, you can check for continuity and shorts -- if that all checks out, but the cable doesn't work, you can probably conclude that the problem is in a cable wiring difference (assuming that the player really isn't dead).
    yes I do have an ohm-meter and I know how to use it. so the question is, what is the standard? which position on the 1/8" plug should go to which color RCA?

I'm starting to think the Canon cable is universal and I need a proprietary cable to get this DVD player (Durabrand) to work. That could be tough.

Gary
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i think you're out of luck.
    On this instruction manual page for the canon HC30 (pg 30) the headphone/AV jack has software config. that would suggest that the pins are out of order.
    http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0300000884/hv30nim-en.pdf

try putting the white rca (left) in the video.
    Audio and Video are both 1volt so it won't harm the projector.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is the "normal" way it should be wired:

=============|| === | ==== | ==== | ====>
    _____cable________gnd___mic___right___left
    _____cable________gnd___video_right___left

=============|| ======== | ==== | ====>
    _____cable________gnd__gnd___right___left

=============|| ============= | ====>
    _____cable________gnd__gnd__gnd___mono

left = white
    right = red
    mic/video = yellow
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by garybeck

yes I do have an ohm-meter and I know how to use it. so the question is, what is the standard? which position on the 1/8" plug should go to which color RCA?

I'm starting to think the Canon cable is universal and I need a proprietary cable to get this DVD player (Durabrand) to work. That could be tough.

Gary
    I was suggesting something different: Verify that the cable has proper continuity and no shorts. That's it. That is sufficient to determine whether the cable is *defective.* To repeat the reasoning earlier, if this test shows that the cable itself is good, and if you have determined that your player is not defective, then you can conclude that this cable is simply wired differently from the other. This is the best you can do with what you have.

To use the ohmmeter, verify that the hot lead (center pin) of each RCA connector shows continuity to one -- and only one -- other pin. Verify that the ground connections of the RCA connectors all show continuity with each other, and to one -- and only one -- pin on the submini connector.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by rallymax

left = white
    right = red
    mic/video = yellow
    hmm,,, actually that is the preferred situation... if the Canon Camcorder is non-standard, then I must have the cord that came with it because the camera can play thru the projector.

if that's the case, then my DVD player just needs a standard cord which I should be able to pick up locally.

if it were the other way around, like the DVD player's jack is non-standard, I'd be SOL because they don't make this thing anymore.

I have already tried switching the yellow/white/black on the RCA ends and I get nothing, which is telling me that the negative contact is in a different place, either on the unit, or on the cord. If I knew the standard for the positions on the male 1/8" jack then I could test it before I buy a new cord. if you know what it is please let me know. thanks for your help!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by rallymax

left = white
    right = red
    mic/video = yellow
    oops I didn't see this response before. I'm going to test the one I have and report back.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by rallymax

left = white
    right = red
    mic/video = yellow
    OK, it looks like this cord I have is not the same as what you have outlined. it read like this:

center-red______GND_______center-yellow_______center-white

so indeed the ground on this is not in the first position on the male plug. and this cord works with my Canon camera. So hopefully if I get a standard adatapter it will work with my video player.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by rallymax

left = white
    right = red
    mic/video = yellow
    rallymax, are you sure your info is correct? I went to best buy and bought another cord and it's the same as the one I have... with gnd in the 2nd position, not the first. I think that is the standard. unfortunately my dvd player doesn't work on the standard evidently. I don't know how in the world I'm going to get a non-standard cord for this player. Durabrand/Lenoxx seems to be non-existent.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I found the answer

if anyone runs into a similar problem.... I found that the Durabrand PDV-705 portable DVD player comes with an A/V cable that is WIRED DIFFERENTLY than the standard. If you have this DVD player, and you lose the cable, you are screwed. Durabrand/Lenoxx doesn't exist anymore as far as I can tell.

i confirmed this because I spent 2 hours searching and I finally found the missing cord and I checked it with an ohm meter and it is in fact wired differently and it works just fine with the DVD player, but does not work on other devices with a similar plug.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's why worrying about the existence of a standard is futile -- there's no obligation for a vendor to adhere to a standard.

But one is not "screwed," as you put it. The connectors are the same, even if the connections aren't exactly. Modifying a "standard" cable is not hard, so you can always make your own out of things that you can readily obtain. The result might not look pretty, but it'll get the job done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by garybeck
    Durabrand/Lenoxx doesn't exist anymore as far as I can tell.
    Here in the UK ASDA still stock Durabrand products, also known as Pacific.
    Quote Quote