VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do not know why, but my ADVC is not even recognized by Neo. I go to "Capture", then "Input Settings" and there are a bunch of devices that I am not familiar with but no ADVC. I do not think it is a Vista incompatibility issue as the device itself says it is compatible with both 32 and 64 bit versions.

If it helps, other video capture/editing software is not recognizing the device, so I do believe it is a device issue, but when I go to the main Grass Valley site, they do not have any device or firmware updates for the ADVC, so I do not know what to do. Help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update: even WinDV is not recognizing the device.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It could be one of three things, in no particular order:

1. Your firewire cable connecting your computer to the ADVC110 is bad. Try another cable.
    2. The firewire interface on your computer is bad. You can get another firewire card on eBay pretty cheap.
    3. Your ADVC has gone bad.

Note that firewire is not supposed to be hot-pluggable. The proper way to connect a firewire device to your computer is to power down the computer and the device. Then connect the computer and device with a firewire cable, power on the device, then the computer.

CogoSWSDS
    Old ICBM Coordinates: 39 45' 0.0224" N 89 43' 1.7548" W. New coordinates: 39 47' 48.0" N 89 38' 35.7548" W.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by CogoSWSDS
    It could be one of three things, in no particular order:

1. Your firewire cable connecting your computer to the ADVC110 is bad. Try another cable.
    2. The firewire interface on your computer is bad. You can get another firewire card on eBay pretty cheap.

Note that firewire is not supposed to be hot-pluggable. The proper way to connect a firewire device to your computer is to power down the computer and the device. Then connect the computer and device with a firewire cable, power on the device, then the computer.

CogoSWSDS
    firewire/iee1394 is hot swappable and always has been.

What Is FireWire?

FireWire is an Apple trademark for the IEEE 1394 High Performance Serial Bus standard, a cross-platform standard for connecting and using digital peripheral devices. FireWire can be used with many multimedia devices and for other high-performance applications. FireWire's benefits include fast real-time transfer, plug-and-play, hot swapping, a higher-speed growth path, and easy-to-use cables and connectors.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM

1. I don't think this is the case as the ADVC boots up and has the flashing lights when I plug it into the adapter. Also, for the record, Vista does make that sound it makes when a device is plugged in, so it does SEEM to recognize the device, but I cannot find it in the Device Manager (In Control Panel) for the life of me...so who knows?

2. This brings up an entirely different issue for me, as I now have to learn all about firewire ports and whether my computer can take a different installment. I only have a 4-pin firewire port...can I have a six-pin one installed and my laptop be able to take it? I suppose I'd have to have a computer technician install it for me or something. That is, once I figure out what I should buy. And this is all assuming that my firewire port is faulty to begin with.

3. God, for the amount of money that I've sunk into this little adventure, I really hope not. I did send an inquiry to Grass Valley, the makers of the Canopus products, but that was yesterday and I'm sure I'll be waiting a while before they answer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may have resolved your problem by now but anyway:

1. Try plugging another device (camera, camcorder, etc) with Firewire output into your computer. If it is detected, then your Firewire port and cable are OK.

2. Check the dip switches under your ADVC are set correctly for your computer and setup.

3. The ADVC gets power from either a 6-pin Firewire port or from the 5V DC adapter. You have a 4-pin port but you mention an adapter - I take it you mean a 5V DC adapter and NOT a 4-pin to 6-pin adapter?

4. I only bought my ADVC 110 two days ago and I have not tried it yet. I may be off-track here, but have you connected an analogue output device like a video recorder or camcorder to the ADVC input ? Maybe your computer will detect the output device (which is what you want) or maybe the ADVC itself can only be detected when it has an output device connected to its input side. Just guessing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The ADVC can act as an input or an output. Make sure it's set to the correct one!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm having a similar problem with the ADVC-110. Have you found the solution for this?
    Quote Quote