VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have ripped Apocaypto to my hdd to play on my media center, but I have know idea how to keep the subtitles. I used DVDFab to rip the main movie and I selected the subtitles for english. I then used Videoredo to convert to Dvr-Ms, but of course there are no subtitles. I don't mind using a different format other than dvr-ms as long I as I can keep the subtitles and it play through media center and the extenders. I played the ripped original and it plays the subtitles just fine. How do you get around this? There has to be a way to keep the subtitles in this day age of technology.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on what you are using as your extender.

The most foolproof method is to encode the subs into the video so they are always there. Of course this means they cannot be switched off, but for some movies that is OK.

Or you need to try a different media centre software that can transcode subs on the fly, which is what I have to do to stream to my PS3, as it won't read external subs.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    It depends on what you are using as your extender.

The most foolproof method is to encode the subs into the video so they are always there. Of course this means they cannot be switched off, but for some movies that is OK.

Or you need to try a different media centre software that can transcode subs on the fly, which is what I have to do to stream to my PS3, as it won't read external subs.
    I'm using a 360 for my extender. What software encoder you recommend that can keep the quailty of the video and keep the 5.1 surround sound intact and still work in Vista Media Center and stream to the 360?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use PS3 Media Server, which does a good job at transcoding on the fly and keeping 5.1 audio. The last version has beta support for the 360.

I don't have a 360, so I don't know what others are using for that platform.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote