VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, hope someone can help me with this. Just built my new PC so I'm finally in the process of capturing 60-odd miniDV tapes onto my HD's. I'm using Vegas Studio 9.0's default capture program. Here's basically what I'm looking at....these are 7 different clips from 7 different tapes captured recently directly through firewire:

Notice the date/time stamp column goes blank after the 3rd clip (from the 3rd tape) The only thing I can think that might have possibly changed is maybe Vegas downloaded 9.0b somewhere between the 3rd tape capture and the start of the 4th tape?? I know it found the update awhile after I initially installed the software, but I don't remember if it was exactly at that point. I can't think of anything else that changed though.

Any idea how to remedy this would be greatly appreciated!!! I had to halt the capturing process until I can find a fix and I'm anxious to get through these 60 tapes.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. use windv for capturing. it's free and all you need.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    use windv for capturing. it's free and all you need.
    That's what I used on my old PC since it was so small and non-taxing on the computer. The main reason I've been using Vegas' program with this new PC is that it splits the tape up into clips based on when the camera was turned off then back on (any break in the time/date code I would imagine triggers this split).

Does windv have that option? I see this in the readme file:

"automatic AVI splitting according to the timestamps on DV recordings
    every video sequence can be saved into unique file"

I understood that as it would split up the clips into say, 5 minute sections, or an increment of your choosing. Is that incorrect? If there's a way to do it based on when the camera had a break in recording like Vegas does, I'll happily go back to windv!
    Quote Quote  
  4. windv has all the options you could need. click the options button and set the "discontinuity threshold" to 1 and it will split the capture at every change. use type II avi and set the max avi size to 1,000,000.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    windv has all the options you could need. click the options button and set the "discontinuity threshold" to 1 and it will split the capture at every change. use type II avi and set the max avi size to 1,000,000.
    Thank you very much, windv is working exactly as I need with those settings....really appreciate the help!
    Quote Quote  
  6. welcome, to the forum also.
    Quote Quote