VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Gurus,

Here's the thing: I intend to get a camcorder real soon. Problem is I can't decide whether to get one with HD or not.

I know most ppl say to always get a HD camcorder if you can afford it.
    Now while I may be able to afford it, my only concern is whether my PC will be able to handle the 'editing' part.

What are the Minimum PC Requirements to do HD Video Editing?

Assuming hard disk space is of no concern, will my AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8GHz), 3GB RAM PC be able to handle HD video editing? - Also assuming I won't be getting a new PC anytime soon yet.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    $$$$$
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your current PC won't do it. Or it would struggle with HDV without display card assist.

Figure first you need roughly a Core 2 Duo + PureVideoHD or AVIVO-HD display card just to play AVCHD and do simple cuts editing. Native high level editing takes a quad core or better (in the future).

HDV will take somewhat less resource and/or perform better for edit point search.

A common work around is conversion to a less CPU demanding intermediate format. Consumer editing products usually convert AVCHD to MPeg2. Apple resorts to conversion to 960x540 (quarter resolution) for iMovie. Higher end edit packages recommend digital intermediate conversion to Cineform, Apple Intemediate Codec or similar.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Losing one's sense of humor....
    is nothing to laugh at.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dan1st
    Hi Gurus,

Here's the thing: I intend to get a camcorder real soon. Problem is I can't decide whether to get one with HD or not.

I know most ppl say to always get a HD camcorder if you can afford it.
    Now while I may be able to afford it, my only concern is whether my PC will be able to handle the 'editing' part.

What are the Minimum PC Requirements to do HD Video Editing?

Assuming hard disk space is of no concern, will my AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8GHz), 3GB RAM PC be able to handle HD video editing? - Also assuming I won't be getting a new PC anytime soon yet.
    the answer is "yes" with a stipulation and 1 assumption: the assumption is that your motherboard has a pci-e 16x slot and the stipulation is that you purchase a new video card that supports cuda and that you can make do with cyberlink's power director 7 software (quite possibly the finest consumer grade editing software currently available).

if the above is criteria are met, then yes, i'm confident that you will be able to edit HD video on your pc.

i just upgraded from a 9400 gt 512 to a 9600 gso and the performance jump (under video editing/transcoding scenarios using cuda enabled apps) is nothing short of amazing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try reverse thinking...Assume you got a SD cam and 5 years from now, people are laughing at you because HD is now the standard...

In 6 months, I''ll have been shooting HDV for 3 years already...the years just fly by
    Quote Quote