VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I have a VHS tape I received yesterday that contains a concert plus various other programs I would like to make into a DVD. Now can I do that myself? I heard today of somehow using my vcr and my computer but I am SEVERELY blonde and old so I need lots of hand holding LOL. I have both and internal and external DVD burner. I have a VCR I bought brand new in lilke 1991 and another I purchased maybe 5 yrs ago also purchased it brand new.(probably less but not positive on when I got that one) Now is it possible to use one of my VCR's and one of my burners to do this? If so what do I need to set that up and how in the world do I make it go onto the DVD? Oh and my External DVD burner is a LiteOn EZ-Dub Spammerman told me to come here and ask so here I am LOL

OK so now if it is NOT possible to do it myself can you recommend someone who can ? Like does Best Buy do it? Or Office Max?

I'm totally a virgin in this area LOL

Thank you so much

Cindy
    Sha Na Na Fanatic, psp tag maker, tuber, background maker, Animal mommy, and helper in the Chico project

http://chicoryan-fannetwork.tripod.com/index.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hey Cindy

You will need to spend some money on a capture card if you want to do it your self, the cheaper & easier alternative is to pay someone if this is going to be a one of thing for you, a capture card can be costly

Denis
    Quote Quote  
  3. Oh I forgot, a DVD/VHS combo can do it to, but then you have to spend more money again, unless you know someone that has one.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    THANK YOU Denis. yea I think this is a one time thing for me. Everything else that is on VHS is fine on VHS it is just this one tape that I want to be able to get clips from it to put up at youtube. Can you or anyone tell me who might do such a thing? Or how I might look for it in the phone book? See how much of a noob I am LOL I don't even know what to look for in the phone book ROTF. I did have a DVD/VHS combo but the VHS part of it decided it didn't want to play with me anymore LOL I'd rather if I was spending money to pay someone to do this as I have a DVD player that I am awfully fond of for sentimental reasons LOL

THANK YOU again

Cindy
    Sha Na Na Fanatic, psp tag maker, tuber, background maker, Animal mommy, and helper in the Chico project

Quote Quote  
  5. As I live Down under, I have no idea where you would get it done in the States, you may try to google something like, "VHS Tape to DVD", I'd say you will come up with a few alternatives, try it anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I googled for stores that transfer VHS tape to DVD and came up with Walgreens, Walmart, Rite-Aid and possibly Best Buy WHOOOOO HOOO all those are in town. So hopefully I can get this done next month. This months check is gone LOL . Darn dog . Good thing I love her so much :P

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Depending on how many of these you expect to do (is it just a once-in-a-lifetime deal, or do you think you will be doing this on an ongong basis), you may or may not find it more economical to get your own DVD recorder. These are standalone decks that look just like ordinary standalone players, but they can also record directly to DVDs. You can take one of your existing VCRs and hook it up to the DVD recorder, press a button, and burn away. No advanced knowledge needed; basically, if you can handle recording onto a VHS tape, you can handle this. A basic recorder isn't too expensive (I've seen them at Wal-Marts and such for under $100, and on sale occasionally for significantly less). I don't know how much you're being charged for doing a transfer, but whatever it is, I imagine that it doesn't take too many of those before you've paid the equivalent of a recorder.

just a thought.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Why don't you get a quote from user 'lordsmurf'? If this tape is important to you, the stores you mentioned would be the last place you'd want to send it. PM the little blue man.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Foofsmom
    yea I think this is a one time thing for me. Everything else that is on VHS is fine on VHS it is just this one tape that I want to be able to get clips from it to put up at youtube.
    Cindy, if what you're really after is "getting clips of the tape onto youTube", and you don't much care about actually making a DVD, things are trickier. If you are truly "blonde" and not really up for a lot of technical study for this one thing you want to do, get a teenager to do it for you. Seriously. It amazes me how rarely that answer is given when someone like you posts this kind of question. Kids are totally in touch with this stuff, they have the computer hardware and knowledge or they have five friends that do. Let them have a crack at it, its literally "childs play" for them.

Otherwise, your cheapest and easiest way out is going to take some technical skill on your part. You'll need to bring the tape to Wal*Mart or whoever, and get a DVD made (for youTube, it doesn't have to be a flawless custom job by a pro lab). When you get the DVD back, you would put it in your computer and use a couple of software programs to copy the video into a format youTube accepts, and edit it down into the clips you want to post. It isn't really that difficult, but if you're tech-phobic or nervous it can be a little tough. You'll have to download some software and learn how to use it: are you up for that? If not, find a neighborhood kid and give them the DVD. Tell them how you want the clips done, and they can give you back the files ready for youTube, or they could even post them for you. A lot of newer computers already have the connections for a VCR, ask around if someone has such a computer and you might be able to just give them the VHS to turn directly into youTube files (although thats pushing the limits of a "favor": try to get the DVD made first and give that out, VHS to digital is half the work.)
    Quote Quote