VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Converting some avi movies using connectx to DVD or Nero to DVD, I am only given the option of Long Play or Extended Play for the length of movies I am converting. The problem is that on one series of movies, Long Play is too small and the next step down, Extended Play, uses only 3.1 gigabytes of the 4.5 gigabyte DVD size. Therefore, 1.4 gigabytes of space is completely wasted which could have been used to increase the quality.

Isn't there any avi to DVD conversion program that will utilize the entire file size of a DVD for better video quality instead of just converting it to certain file sizes leaving large unused space that could have been used to maximize the video quality?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Where are you seeing those settings in ConvertXToDVD? I only see High, Medium and Low quality, and those mostly determine the speed of encoding, not the size. What version are you using? But you can set a custom target size for a DVD if you like in ConvertX.

If you are converting a 700MB Xvid to to a 4.37GB DVD, you don't have the quality to begin with. You can increase the bitrate, but that will just fill the disc, not improve quality. If I were to convert a 'standard' 700MB Xvid off the net, it would likley end up at about 2.5GB to about 3GB in DVD format, depending on the running time of the video.

But if you have higher bitrate or larger AVI type videos, like about 1-2 GB Xvid or similar files, then your conversions might give you larger DVD files.

But try the freeware FAVC or DVD Flick and they may give you more options.
    Quote Quote  
  3. File size = bitrate * running time

Use a bitrate calculater. Set the bitrate in your encoder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    File size = bitrate * running time

Use a bitrate calculater. Set the bitrate in your encoder.
    Then in Nero Vision-> More-> Video options-> DVD-Video-> Custom, then put in the exact bitrate.

https://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm
    Quote Quote