VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm running on Vista 32-bit and HandBreak 0.9.3

I've tried importing various WMV or H.264 sources files to (re)convert to H.264 using HandBreak, however I'm encountering an error which happens in the following sequence;

1. Start up HandBreak
    2. Click Source > Video File to open the selected WMV file
    3. Click the Start button
    4. The normal Command Prompt window opens, but only for a split second and then closes itself.

Result, no converted video file or error message(s).
    Seems like I'm only able to convert from AVI (DivX, XviD, Raw, etc.).

I tried the same files with Total Video Converter and Adobe Media Encoder CS4 and they work fine.
    However I would still much prefer to use HandBreak and it has consistently produces videos of better quality when compared to TVC or AME CS4 as far as the H.264 format is concerned.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Same here. It doesn't work with most wmvs. CLick on the Activity Window to see what the error is after you clicked start.

Code:
     5363 [unknown (0xB00)] HandBrakeCLI 700 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
      50907 [unknown (0xB00)] HandBrakeCLI 700 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to HandBrakeCLI.exe.stackdump
    [12:17:12] sync: expecting 541 video frames

I would try another x264 gui like xvid4psp, HDConvertToX, megui . You should get similar quality if you same same settings as they use same encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sweet thanks!
    I'll try them out
    Quote Quote  
  4. xvid4psp seems to do everything without problem which is great, accepts all video formats, no slo-mo when converting from multi-channel to mono audio.

I just have one final question, how do I que encoding jobs to batch convert?

Thanks.

Edit: nvm managed it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just FYI for anyone who may be wondering.

I compared HandBrake, XviD4PSP and HDConvertToX with real world footage. Came to the following conclusion that at lower bits rates around 320kbps video, quality was in the following order.

1. XviD4PSP
    2. HandBrake
    3. HDConvertToX
    Quote Quote