VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have a bunch of videos that I wanna convert from MKV to MPEG-4 to watch on my cellphone, but the video has softsubs that are turned on by default, and they stay when I convert, but I want to remove them completely, so how do you do that?
    BTW, I'm using FormatFactory.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Remove the softsubs using mkvtoolnix (mkvmergegui).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or, set Subtitle Stream Index to "None" in Format Factory video encoding settings (normally, it is set to Default).
    Quote Quote  
  5. If I remove Subtitles using mkvmerge gui, then format factory cannot convert the file properly into vob. Also, I've tried setting Subtitle Stream Index to "None" in Format Factory video encoding settings, but the subtitles still don't get removed, how can I remove it?

By the way, my subtitile details is : S_VOBSUB (ID 4, type: subtitiles)
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dvdwritervac View Post
    If I remove Subtitles using mkvmerge gui, then format factory cannot convert the file properly into vob. Also, I've tried setting Subtitle Stream Index to "None" in Format Factory video encoding settings, but the subtitles still don't get removed, how can I remove it?

By the way, my subtitile details is : S_VOBSUB (ID 4, type: subtitiles)
    I would guess it's because of header compression in mkv. Try the old mkvmergegui 3.4 or try disable header compression in mkvmergegui 4.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yup - removing subtitles with mkvmerge (MKV Toolkit) and then FF converting works fine. As mentioned above make sure the option in mkvmerge (Ctrl-P or File->Options) "Disable header removal compression for audio and video tracks by default" is checked.

It is a 2-4 min overhead (for a standard ~700MB mkv) and a space issue, but it is clean and works. Just remember that FormatFactory will take two passes to process this file for some reason. The first pass will be very slow and produce a 40-60MB file. The second one will go normally.

Also noticed FormatFactory will not play preview the file in the option window, where the crop options are available
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hello!

I tried all the above, but it didnt work. But I noticed that in Format Factory I could change the font that would be put on the video, so I wondered if there was an invisible font with blank letters. This excist: http://www.angelfire.com/pr/pgpf/if.html. Download the invisible font and go to format factory. Select the file you want to convert and go to options (in the upper bar.) Options > Font > Set font to invisible.tff.

This worked for me, I hope it will work for other too
    Quote Quote