VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi i recently downloaded an mp4 torrent file,it contains two mp4 clips and main movie is mp4 as well. vlc player will play the two shorter clips no problem but will not play the main movie.these all came in the one download and i have downloaded this torrent a couple of times to make sure that it had fully finished but still no good.when you right click on the file and go to play with vlc media player nothing happens,the file just highlights in blue as normal and that's it.i cannot understand how the two shorter clips will play and the main movie will not?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try another player like mpchc(it has also built-in codecs).

And what does mediainfo say?

Or it might be a "fake" mp4 file...or corrupt.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could also try KMPlayer. VLC seems to be hit or miss with newer codecs.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the funny thing is that the two interview clips ae about 200mb and play no problem on vlc,so why would the 1.9gb main movie not play? when you right click on it you do not even get the full drop down menu you normally get on win xp,just four lines as opposed to the normal twelve or so.i have ran corruoted files before and even though they come out all garbled on vlc it still starts up and tries to play them,this is the first time i have seen a file where it will not even start up on vlc.thanks for the tips i will try them now.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mediainfo says the file name is invalid even though it is exactly the same as the two shorter clips which will play perfectly on vlc player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is a corrupt file. Somewhere in the download process the file has been damaged enough to no longer be recognised as a playable file. It happens.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i deleted the download completely from my laptop and am trying it again from a different site that has more seeders of tyhe torrent so here's hoping it will work this time if ye had the choice of what is the best all round media player to use especially when it comes to potentially bad files would ye choose vlc media player? thanks for all the help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use several players on my pcs: KMPlayer, MPCHC, Splash and VLC.

Usually i dont have problems with video playback.
    Usually, coz i got several h.264 or AVCHD files (mp4, mov, m2ts etc) that crash KMPlayer. MPCHC and VLC cant play video, but Splash plays it without a problem.

its not always about corrupted files...
    too many players, too many strange codecs and containers
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SOLVED! UNISTALLED 2.1/2.09 REINSTALLED VLC 2.03 with supporting codex, WORKS FINE! OBVIOUSLY THEY SCREWED UP THE LATEST OFFER.... OBVIOUSLY! SO... turn OFF updates... like you prolly do re: windows XP... =) LOL... and go with the legacy software until those peeps learn to pull up their socks before putting out a new update! Yes from time to time this kind of disappointment happens, usually some new chooche out of college gets on the team... doesn't know his shit, and the release is an EPIC FAIL... take LAVASoft's 2009's Adaware antivirus release for example... it flagged and destroyed key XP OS running processes and fully destroyed any XP OS for anyone allowing the program to 'treat flagged' issues! Very bad... this isn't a big issue... even easier to fix, just unistall current VLC and roll out an older copy like 2.03 (you guys DO save older table software releases don't you, well you should)... I'm up and running now... no problems except the bad taste of the lost coffee it took to fix the issue... Peace.
    Quote Quote