VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This problem is really bugging me! The VCD has some sort of issue with the aspect ratio. I extracted the dat to mpg using VCDGEAR. No fixes were made upon extraction. The .mpg file plays just like the VCD - very stretched horizontally unless I set my player to force 4:3. It then plays normally. So I thought there must just be a problem with the header information - but GOM Player says the header is 4:3 352x240. WMP says the file is actually 522x240. I tried a program called DVDPatcher. It also reports the header as 352x240 4:3 so using the patcher accomplished nothing. I also tried patching different values such as 352x395. That produced a 4:3 video window but only by placing a large area of blank (green) below the original video and not by unstretching the horizontal.

Then I tried demultiplexing the video using TMPGENC MPEG TOOLS. Now I'm more confused! The output gave me two files. The audio file gives the correct length of 59:17, but the video file shows only 19:28 total time, but is complete and not missing anything. I tried DVDPatcher again just on the extracted video but it still reports the file to be 352x240 and makes no change to the header.

The original file is 605 MB. When I remultiplexed the file the result was a huge 1.64 GB...and it still looks and playes exactly like the original file.

Years ago I remember using a program* that did a great job on mpeg 1 files with header problems, but I cannot remember the name. I've tried MPEG-Corrector which does nothing with this file. The one I remember was a funny program in that you loaded the file, then clicked on test. There was a black dot that would line up next to a file that had a problem. I do remember that it was quite effective with these sorts of issues, though this one might be especially vexing. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

*edit: the program is MPEGed! See my last post. Fixed!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is it just this VCD MPG that causes this? Because I wouldn't trust WMP....

What does mediainfo say about the mpg? If 352x240 with 4:3 it sounds normal.
    Does it play okey in gom player, mpc, vlc etc?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your input! I have run Mediainfo. Here is a copy of the exported information. What I find interesting is the reported aspect ratio of 2.2:

General
    Complete name : E:\to copy\VCD - files\movie.mpg
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 591 MiB
    Duration : 59mn 17s
    Overall bit rate : 1 394 Kbps

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 1
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 115 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 3 500 Kbps
    Width : 352 pixels
    Height : 240 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.2
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.440
    Stream size : 473 MiB (80%)

Audio
    ID : 192 (0xC0)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 224 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    Video delay : -33ms
    Stream size : 95.0 MiB (16%)

All of my players (GOM, WMP, Nero Showtime) play the file with a very stretched horizontal picture. It looks like 4:3 video stretched beyond even 16:9. But, if I tell the media players to display the video at 4:3 and ignore the "default" it displayes properly. So I believe that if I could put the correct header information in the file it would play correctly with the media players in their default settings.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If this is a commercial VCD, would you mind to post the title and what country it comes from? It might be interesting to have a record of it. If someone made it and it's not a commercial VCD, then there's no need to give any more info.

The only program I have that I know can change MPEG header information is the commercial version of the Tecoltd Bitrate Viewer. The free version cannot modify any MPEG headers. At about $30 US, I can't really recommend that you purchase it for trying to fix one VCD. I bought a copy because earlier in the decade I was really into making SVCDs before DVD burners and discs became affordable and it was very useful to me in SVCD work to be able to modify headers.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [deleted]

(See following posts)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok, I had to wipe a little rust off my hands (and mind) to refresh this, but here goes...

Get MPEGSequenceMaker. If you can't get it here anymore, PM me.
    Demux your MPG1 file to an M1v (using TMPGEnc, etc) and MP2. Save the MP2 for later.
    Open your raw/basic video file (the M1v) in MpegSequenceMaker. If it doesn't see it, change the filetype designator to "all" first and then try again. Once it's open, also open up the "console" and "options" panels--I don't know why those don't ALWAYS stay open, they're almost always needed.
    You'll see an AR setting in the sequence info section. THIS IS ACTUALLY PAR, as that's what MPEG1 only made reference to. DAR flag settings wasn't clearly established until MPEG2. For your standard 352x240 4:3 NTSC video, it should be the setting which reads "1.0950 CCIR601, 525 lines, NTSC". If it isn't--that's your problem. Change it to that, select/create an output filename (also .m1v) and hit START.
    After a new file is written, with this new sequence info (shouldn't take that long), close out the program.
    Mux together the new M1v and the MP2 that you saved.
    DONE!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks all for the help! Scott, I didn't see your post until I'd already solved the problem, but it sounds like your solution would also work quite well.

I finally figured out what the old program that I mentioned in my first post was, and it fixed the file in no time at all! Google "MPEDed," or download it from here: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/MPEGed/947310275/1

I think this program should be listed amongst the Tools. How can it be added?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm....very interesting. I wonder what it's doing that differs from what DVDPatcher is supposed to do. AFAIK, there's only one byte/nybble that needs to be changed, but since DVDPatcher didn't work for you, but MPEGed did, there's evidently more to it. One of these days I'll have to do a binary compare of before and after to see what's going on.

Glad you solved it!
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 201flyer
    I think this program should be listed amongst the Tools. How can it be added?
    Strange...a mpg tool that never has been mentioned in this forum before. I will see if I add it or under the dvdpatcher tool page.
    Quote Quote