VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying to convert an mkv with dca(i think) audio format. I've been using ojosoft and alltoavi. With ojosoft, the audio is similar to a video being played in slow motion, but the video is fine. With alltoavi, the avi has no sound and although the conversion settings has audio bitrate locked at 128kbps, the bitrate for audio shows to be stuck at 32 while converting. Both these programs have the ability to convert with subtitles. If I use SUPER ゥ and convert without subtitles, both the audio and video is completely fine. Is my pc not good enough to handle converting with the other programs?

The mkv is 720p, x264. My pc has a 2ghz processor. Should that be what I upgrade?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Start with MediaInfo and find out what you really have. Never heard of DCA audio.

Are you converting this purely so you can play it ?

Try providing real details about your PC (2Ghz tells us nothing). Right-Click on My Computer and then click on Properties. The General Tab will tell you most of what you need to know. Use this to fill in the computer details section of your profile.

What software are you using to play the file back ? Not all software is created equal, and a lot of it is crap. That may be a big part of your problem.

What graphics card do you have ? Some cards can help playback of H264 files when used with the right player.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try dropping the original and the converted video into MediaInfo and seeing what the audio formats are. MKV is a container and can use several audio/video formats and/or multiple audio formats. Some may not be compatible with your converter, the same with the subs. You might have to mux out the audio and the subs before conversion.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies.

The audio is actually DTS. I can play the file with mpc or vlc, but I'm converting the file because I want to play it with my dvd player that reads usb drives and the video needs to be = or < than 720x480(something like this) with subs encoded.

Couldn't use mediainfo on the converted video because I already deleted it (doh)

Right now I'm going by converting the original with super, mkvextract the audio out and merge it with the original video and subtitles and then reencoding the whole thing with alltoavi. It worked, but converting the audio twice seems to have a big loss in quality as compared to converting it once with super.

My pc has core 2 duo @ 2ghz, 4gb of ram, vista 32 bit, with nvidia 8800 gts gpu.

So maybe the programs, besides super, can't convert dts?

Thanks

Also, does converting the audio twice even at the same setting for both times deteriorate the quality?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Audio isn't as sensitive as video to multiple conversions, but there will always be some loses.

I've had fair luck using ConvertXToDVD for my MKV to DVD conversions, but it's not freeware.

Your CPU speed mainly determines the converson time, not the quality of the conversion. But MKV does need a bit of CPU power to playback.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid4PSP should be able to make short work of it, but for DVD I would use AVStoDVD or ConvertXtoDVD. You can keep the DTS audio for DVD if you have a DTS decoding amplifier.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote