VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help...new to video editing/production....such an array of products in the sub £100 price....Adobe Premiere Elements 7, Sony Vegas 9, UL (Corel) Videostudio X2, Pinnacle Studio v12.....Which is the best as there are so many conflicting reviews out there? I have a JVC GZ-HD7 camcorder so looking for lossless HD video editing and possible production on Bluray in the future....Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Download the demo versions and find out for yourself. Everyone here has an opinion of the matter, most conflict with each other, and ultimately it comes down to what works for you. They all have similar features, and the major differences are the interfaces. You need to find what works for you, and that means trying them out.

I do not like Premiere and do love Vegas. This fact doesn't really help you much though, does it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guns1linger....I do plan on trialling them but I have heard some are more buggy and unstable then others....guess I'll get playing then!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pinnacle has always had a reputation for being unstable, although some say it has been better in the last two versions. Vegas has always been rock solid, even in it's consumer versions. VideoStudio is also pretty solid, and Elements has had it's good and bad versions.

What you should do, especially for Vegas and Elements, is look at the comparison tables between the Pro and Studio/Elements versions to see what has been taken out or restricted to get the consumer price tag.

Don't be wowed by the fact the consumer version ships with 100's of bonus filters etc, because most you won't use anyway. Look more at how many video or audio tracks you can have simultaneously, what formats you can import and export, and be aware that consumer versions often restrict your ability to fine tune export settings to get the best quality.

As for lossless HD editing - I don't believe any of them do lossless editing, and all of them will struggle with AVCHD. They all do it, after a fashion, but HD is still a difficult format to work with, especially with consumer level tools.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    About 2 years ago i tried some of those in the list and i found Editstudio the easiest one to use. I need to read a "bible" to use premiere, Vegas is easier than Premiere but complicated aswell. I would suggest Editstudio to start with.
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote