VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys,
    I recently downloaded some avi/x-msvideo files, that I have not been able to convert to mpeg, or for that matter do anything with. Does anyone know if there is any sort of conversion software that would allow me to convert these fie types, in order to make a dvd? I have never encountered this type of video format before.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Drop one of them into MediaInfo or Gspot and post the screen shot. Blank out the titles if you like. If your video is something like Indeo format, or a MS format with DRM encryption, or just a newer version of WMV then that might also be the problem. And to warn you, a lot of WMV files off the net are encrypted and just SPAM video that they want you to pay for. If it plays with a mottled green screen, that's a possibility.

If you just run Linux, then there should be a similar program that will properly identify the needed codec. And we do have a Linux Forum if that's your primary OS. I can move this thread there if needed.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey redwudz,
    Thanks alot for your help, I really appreciate it. I opened one of the files in MediaInfo, and the only ifromation it gave was the size of the file. I am attatching the screenshot of it. Have you heard of this before? Do you have any ideas?

Regards

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check the bottom of the window. There's a note there that mentions "if you want more detail, you must select a different view," like Tree View.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just buy it on DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It may be that the files are corrupted (MediaInfo would show some more basic info than what I see on the screeshot).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all your help on this one. It looks like the videos are corrupted. I guess I'll be buying these on dvd. Anyone thanks for all you're input.
    Quote Quote