VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using Nero 9 and DVD Shrink 3.2. I want to convert the entire DVD into one specific "point and click" file so I can simply play the DVD movie from an external Hard Drive. I am trying to "copy" all my DVDs so I do not need to transport the actual disc since space is limited for travel.

I have tried several ways and seems like I always have a Video_TS and Audio_TS folder created. The Video_TS has numerous files. The Nero digital file is usually around 4.7 GB and takes forever to do. I was told this can simply be accomplished in a hour or less to my WD Passport Elite.

Can anyone tell me how I can copy a whole DVD with Nero 9 into a single file format that doesn't take 32 hours to do so? I need a step by step break down with the settings/preferences since I am not familiar with these DVD burning/ripping/copying programs and I am growing more and more frustrated. Just want to watch a DVD on a lap top from an external HD.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On your computer encoding to H264 will take some time.

Faster would be to rip with DVDFab HD decrypter using Main Movie mode, then using AutoGK to create an Xvid version of the movie.

If you must go down the H264 route, try Xvid4PSP, which uses the X264 encoder and will be, depending on the settings used, faster than Nero.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. Sadly, I am really computer stupid. Are these specific programs I have to download? If so, what order do I need to do things in from inserting the DVD into the DVD drive and doing what I want, such as copying the DVD to the external HD, so the program will do what it is supposed to and in the end, I'll have the movie in one file in a specific format.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can find all of them in the Tools section.

DVDFab HD Decrypter - rips the DVD to a Video_TS folder on your HDD. Use the free version just for ripping (same download, different option when you run it)

AutoGK - load the IFO file in the Video_TS folder you created when you ripped the DVD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I would copy the main movie only. Then start encoding to H.264 using x264.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding DVDFab - apparently there is no way to add thumbnail cover art? With my WD HD TV, I can only receive a listing of my downloaded movies. Ideas? Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With the WD TV, you add the cover art yourself. Simply name the image file the same as the movie (ex. Transfomers.avi and Transformers.jpg)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Supreme2k for reply. Unfortunately with DVDFab I don't see an avi file. What I see on my TV screen is a thumbnail list of movies (thumbnail is blank) and when I click on the the movie, I receive a ts file. I can copy and paste cover art to the video ts file, and I do see the art, but I can't see it prior. I tried pasting to the hard drive folder (the name of the jpeg file is identical to the movie title), but that did not work either. Is this all making sense?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not a whole lot of sense.

When you say "tv screen", do you mean computer monitor?

Download AutoGK, install it, run it,
    for the input file, navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder for the movie, choose the ifo file (usually VTS_01_0.IFO), choose an output file name and location (like c:\my movies\Iron Man.avi),choose the audio tracks and sub tracks, choose 1/5 or 1/4 dvdr for the predefined size, add job, then click start.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You could just rip the DVd to an ISO file and play that

DVDshrink ==> metropolis.iso this will be a complete copy of the DIsc and only take 25 -30mins but takes 8gb of disc space.

Then later you could convert the iso file to a much smaller(1 - 1.5gb) avi file using FAIRUSE2.0 (takes 1 -2 Hours)
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote