VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I shot a 4 day event at about 7 hours of footage a day with three cameras. (so like 60 hrs of tapes) I hired a technical director to run a switchboard during the event to run a live edit into a hard drive so that I may just edit the stream of 4 days (28 hr MPEG) into a 6 hr DVD. We agreed on AVI as the export, but I received a MPEG 2 and supposedly he tells me its better quality (he keeps saying "studio quality") than an AVI. In any case it was edited on a tricaster switchboard at its "highest output" and I wont argue. I have to click on de-interlace, I have to render the file because there is a red bar above the time line (i read that if it's red that means the project settings are wrong, is that true?) and I can't really get a couple hours to run without Adobe crashing and freezing ( i have each day broken up into 3 separate MPG files, at about 2 hrs a file) What do I have to get done or change to get this thing edited? I'm gonna end up wasting allot of time trying to get these files working if I don't think of something quick. I'm running on a

SONY VAIO
    WINDOWS XP Professional service pack 2
    Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
    2.79GHz, 2.0GB RAM

Adobe Premiere CS3 from the
    ADOBE CS3 Production Premium (the bundle pack)

Do I need to consider switching to a Mac in order to do this project or what? Is it a problem with the file type and adobe?

I also have a VAIO laptop which cant really run the 2 hr file in Premiere CS3 either, and its pretty damn fast with 3.0GB RAM.
    I have allot of editing to do, so I need to be able to scan through all this footage without much lag time and problems.
    Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would suggest dropping one of the files into MediaInfo and posting a screen shot of that here so others know exactly what format/specifications you are dealing with.

And welcome to our forums.

And KevinCease, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I apologize for not following the rules, it won't happen again. Here is a screenshot of file info

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    also, will de-interlacing be necessary, or will it degrade the picture more? I can't get the thing to really play to see it in action. Im trying to export one of the files into an uncompressed AVI since I hear they work better in Premiere. I may have to get it all converted, but doesn't MPEG compress the hell out of files, and then what would be the point of converting to AVI from there? (unless it just runs better in premiere)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It appears that you might be dealing with MPEG2 intraframe (aka MPEG2 i-frame), which has a higher bitrate than DVD-compliant MPEG2. Premiere ought to be able to handle it. Just make sure your project preset is the same format as the video source.

Ultimately, Tricaster is Newtek's proprietary video system, so who knows how well the video files will work in Premiere. I believe your "technical director" screwed you by not delivering the format you requested. You should put it on his shoulders to deliver in a format you can work with. He is full of crap to insinuate that MPEG2 is better than DV avi. Ask him how he expects you to edit it.

ALSO: Next time you embark on a project, know your complete workflow, from shooting to editing to DVD encoding, authoring, and distribution. If someone doesn't deliver what you ask for, kick them in the ass.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    He said he can convert it for me to AVI, is there any specs I should give him for the best quality and most Premiere friendly?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For Premiere, I'd ask for DV-AVI (13Gb per hour)...but make sure the field order is properly switched to Bottom Field First. Otherwise, it's going to be jerky. But try a current MPEG-2 clip with different Premiere MPEG-2 presets. It may be able to handle it without the red line at the top in the timeline.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i didn't know it had different mpeg-2 presets, all i get are the 24p or 29.97 settings, wide screen or normal. is there a more complex preset in premiere pro cs3 I'm not finding?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Eh, perhaps I am wrong about MPEG-2 presets being native in Premiere. (I may have been thinking about a preset that came from a third-party plugin.) The best way to see what you have is to start a new project and see what the settings options are. DV is certainly in Premiere, so if all else fails, get your files converted to DV avi.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your "Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz" is a bit weak for CS3 and will struggle with timeline preview play without render although it should play from the source file. That is life with MPeg2 in Premiere.

I'm not sure if the Tricaster can edit to DV-AVI out. If it can you have a small claims court case if you can prove you asked for DV-AVI. Recording to DV-AVI would have required 28x13GB = 364GB of material. He should have explained that to you and got your sign off. DV-AVI would have been less lossy and much easier to edit in CS3 with a Pentium D.

Like FilmBoss says, you need to plan all this out in the beginning.

Conversion of MPeg2 to DV-AVI will be more lossy but you could edit that without rendering every preview.

There are other solutions that get expensive >$129-$500. Interested?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  11. i think what you've got is all i-frame mpeg2. probably matrox type codec.

you'd need to have their hardware rt.x2 card to edit properly, and a much more powerful computer.

Designed primarily for realtime native HDV and DV editing, Matrox RT.X2 also provides
    a high-quality MPEG-2 4:2:2 I-frame codec so you can capture other HD and SD formats using RT.X2’s analog inputs
    and mix all types of footage on the timeline in real time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Odd to get variable 25Mb/s nominal (22Mb/s overall) MPeg2-PS. That needs explanation from the the tricaster guy. DV-AVI would have been similar bit rate but much easier to edit.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are other solutions that get expensive >$129-$500. Interested?

let me know what your thinking
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    also, are you all suggesting i export in premiere to Microsoft DV AVI, not uncompressed AVI (at maybe 8-bit setting) and then re-drop it in for editing? Also, what about de-interlacing? will the quality drop?
    Quote Quote  
  15. use gspot and check on the gop. i'm still thinking all i frame no b or p.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KevinCease
    also, are you all suggesting i export in premiere to Microsoft DV AVI, not uncompressed AVI (at maybe 8-bit setting) and then re-drop it in for editing? Also, what about de-interlacing? will the quality drop?
    Your computer can't handle uncompressed without a 2-4 drive RAID. Don't go that way. DV-AVI (8bit) will work.

I was thinking a digital intermediate like Cineform NeoScene ($129) but you need a Core2 Duo to meet system requirements* or
    http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/features.php

Then there is this which used to cost $499 but now is on $99 special because of temporary problems with CS4. Works for CS3 but is somewhat advanced. This plug-in edits MPeg2 natively inside Premiere Pro CS3. A hell of a bargain if you can understand it.
    http://www.mainconcept.com/site/prosumer-products-4/mpeg-pro-hd-7850/information-7862.html

Your CPU meets minimum spec. for SD.
    http://www.mainconcept.com/site/prosumer-products-4/mpeg-pro-hd-7850/system-requirements-7860.html

Anyone have a legal CS3 for cheap? I want this.

See you at eBay. Looking for a PP CS3.

* also requires XP 64bit or Vista 32/64 bit.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    use gspot and check on the gop. i'm still thinking all i frame no b or p.
    wow I don't know what any of that means, except I know that GOP is the republican party
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wow I don't know what any of that means, except I know that GOP is the republican party
    You need to hire a Geek and a lawyer.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i think all i need to know is what is the best type of avi to convert this file into, i need the specs so i can just tell him what i need done.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    also, is there a quicker way to convert/render into avi than to process all this footage on premiere? He says he can do it on his comp, he's running Sony vegas, and I have my doubts if that can convert with the specs that i would need.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    8bit DV-AVI and select a DV 720x480, 29.97fps, bottom field first project setting and then when done editing encode 720x480. 29.97fps, bottom field first, ~ 8000+ average Kb/s MPeg2 for DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by KevinCease
    hehe - gop:group of pictures. mpeg uses a complete frame called an i frame and then computes changes from it and other frames to create compressed b and p frames.

all i frame 25mbps mpeg-2 would be highly unusual. dvd spec 720x480 mpeg-2 is normally ~ 8mbps and one i frame followed by 15 b and p frames. it would make very nice editing material if the computer was a fast enough or had an add-in hardware decoding card.

if you can cut a small sample and post it to a file sharing site, it would be a welcome addition to my test file folder. and we could examine it for you.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sure thing i would love to. How do I cut it without rendering it and changing the settings?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    also, is there a quicker way to convert/render into avi than to process all this footage on premiere? He says he can do it on his comp, he's running Sony vegas, and I have my doubts if that can convert with the specs that i would need.
    You aren't going to edit? Or add effects?

Then just encode to DVD spec MPeg2. Both PP CS3 and Vegas Pro use similar Mainconcept based MPeg encoders.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i got the mpeg plugin, it doesn't cover the MPEG type
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then just encode to DVD spec MPeg2. Both PP CS3 and Vegas Pro use similar Mainconcept based MPeg encoders
    yeah but DVD-MPEG2 wont suffice for industry standard, I have had many problems with this, Atom Films wont even accept this type, image entertainment (dvd distributer) wont accept this, comedy central wont accept, etc. I just need to make sure the file conversion will work for DVD distribution and TV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then just encode to DVD spec MPeg2. Both PP CS3 and Vegas Pro use similar Mainconcept based MPeg encoders
    yeah but DVD-MPEG2 wont suffice for industry standard, I have had many problems with this, Atom Films wont even accept this type, image entertainment (dvd distributer) wont accept this, comedy central wont accept, etc. I just need to make sure the file conversion will work for DVD distribution and TV
    What was the original source?

What do they accept? DigiBeta?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by KevinCease
    sure thing i would love to. How do I cut it without rendering it and changing the settings?

sorry it took me awhile to get the software author's permission, as he's on the other side of the pond, but you can use this tool.

makesample.zip
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it sounds like i can just render it into a DV-AVI, my friend in the industry says it should be fine as long as the levels are ok.......
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey heres an update: we are going to digitize the HD footage from the canon and apparently they will be in .m2t file. What is this, and will I be able to edit with it, or are there other steps that I will need to take in order to get this in the best quality possible to hand this off for DVD distribution?
    Quote Quote